Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hit 4001 miles on the roadie last night and beyond the fact that I'm
on my second set of tires now as well as bar tape I'm wondering what
maintenance I should have done on the bike to keep it going nicely.

The cassette could use a dumping in a degreasing tank and I'm sure
some of the cables could use replacing but other than that it's working
great.

I keep the bike pretty clean - beyond that I'm wondering if there are levels
of maintenance like on a car after X miles.

Ideas?

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
You'll hear LOTS of different opinions on things like chains -- some people would've gone through 2, and be nearing 3 new chains in that number of miles. Others would shrug, wait another 2,000 or so (presuming you're lubing regularly), and replace both the chain and cassette.

To answer your "bikes like cars" question, for the most part, there's not very much "do this every X miles", except for chain lubrication. Most everything else, it's when it goes out of spec -- there are chain checkers, wear lines on brake pads, cables are a "feel it" thing. It's not a bad plan to regrease hubs every season or so.

There are some good books out there; I like "Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance." Simple, direct, and tells you what you need to do versus what you could do or ought to do. He favors very frequent chain and cable replacement, FWIW...

Have fun with it. How long did it take you to rack up 4k?

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not too long...I did 2500 miles in 2004 and the rest since then. Last year
due to the wife's medical issues I only managed to get 900 miles in (but
managed to get more mountain bike miles in) and this year I'm doing okay
so far. Hopefully I'll do at least another 1000 or two before the season ends.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Similiar question

Does the rate of milage accumalation matter? I'm averaging 200 miles a week. I clean the bike and chain regularly. I have to keep the chain clean or the DA 10 sp seems to make a lot of noise. Thanks for the info. Tim

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
4K mi and on 2nd set of tires? What tires are you riding? Since I got my roadie last Sept, I've gone over 1K mi on it (I also ride MTB alot). My OE Conti Ultra 3000's died too soon- 1 tread cut & 1 sidewall blow (less than 250 mi on each-OUCH!). IMHO- those Conti's are smooth riding but too delicate for my 175# recreational/suburban riding. Tried some cheap Kenda's which wore out in around 250mi (bad flat spot on tread). Now riding Vittoria Zaffiro Pro's which I like alot- slightly stiff but good grip, durable, and wearing well (350-400 mi so far with min treadwear).

FWIW- With regular cleaning & lubing, I'm on my original Shimano chain & SRAM cassette. Changed my OEM wheelset for Ultegra/Open Pro's (32 spoke) which have been solid except for a single minor truing. Prophylactically regreased the hubs with my fav Park Polylube.

In general I've found that most decent non-exotic (non-racing) bike parts (e.g. 105 level, Deore-LX level on MTB) will last a long time if kept clean and properly lubed. Neglected parts subjected to dirt/wet/etc. will fail early...... & at the worst possible time.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Typically

I don't think there is a "norm" for replacing anything. I found that mileage varies and I use the same products over and over.

The general stuff that wears out are:

Tires
chains
cassettes
bar tape
hub bearings
chain rings
cables

Some seem to last longer than others. I mentioned this to my LBS the other day when I was buying a new cassette and they said that's what they found also.

I bet if we did a survey on tire replacement or chains we would come up with some odd figures.

I keep a maintenance log, but what I found is- when needed..

I would say the one thing that is most consistent is tire wear, but that can fluctuate by +/- 500 miles.

Somethings just seem to last longer...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.