Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its happened again and no doubt it this won't be the last time. Heading north across the Wicklow (Ireland) county line into county Dublin on my commute every morning I cross a roundabout. I was on the roundabout yesterday morning when two cars approached the roundabout very fast (aprx 40 mph in a 30 mph zone - 40 mph doesn't sound fast, but you are really travelling onto a roundabout at that speed).

The law here dictates that traffic coming onto the roundabout MUST Stop and yield to traffic already on the roundabout. First car didn't even slow - he missed my front wheel by
about six inches. Scared the daylights out of me - even though I had guessed he would do it.
The second car was different though. I had eye contact and the driver, a young woman, slowed as if to stop. Then she put her foot down. Hard.
I saw it coming - nothing I could do.
She hit me broadside - probably about 25 - 30 mph.
I thought " That didn't hurt too bad" and then hit the ground.
I then thought "Ok - That DID hurt bad."
Then my helmet smashed into the concrete step that surrounds the rounabout and a half inch chunk of helmet flew off. (Don't even try to argue that wearing a helmet didn't save me from serious head injury.Helmets may not save everyone in every accident but it did its job perfectly this time)

Three years ago I had a lumbar disko Operation and now I was on the freezing wet road with my lower back is in absolute agony.
The driver got out of the car and asked if I am alright and I can't think of anything to say.
I was shaking really bad and in real pain from my back and minor pain from road rash.
The bike is about twenty yards from me and I have no idea what exactly happened to separate me from it.
The driver got into the car and reversed it at speed - this scared me into thinking she was about to run for it and I tried to stand but couldn't - too much back pain.
She returned and by this time several good samaritans are around and they tell me the ambulance is on its way.
I ask if the cops have been called and just know they haven't been - so I ask her to call them.
Ambulance arrived and short time later I am treated very well in hospital before being discharged 4 hours later. Bad cuts on my back, hands + backside , bruising and our old friend road rash just about everywhere except my face. Nothing serious though - the back turned out to be alright - just deep bruising. I cannot even sit because of bruising on my backside.
Haven't decided whether to press charges for dangerous driving and i haven't made my statement - I will go to the police station tomorrow to do that.
I will look for a new helmet, gloves and pump ( it got lost) from the driver. No doubt it will cost a lot less than she is expecting as unfortunately irish society is notoriously litigatious so she will be expecting her insurance to take a serious hit.

My wife got the bike for me - it wasn't damaged except for buckled wheels.Its a really cheap commuter bike anyway.

As I said it wasn't the first time I've been hit but it was the scariest and I have to think hard about whether commuting - I've got a family to consider. The day before this happened I had a VERY close call when a driver nearly hit me full on from a side road. It reall sank in in casualty as I realised I could have been crippled or killed.

Well, thanks for reading this - I know you guys understand better than anyone who doesn't ride.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
comsense said:
Well its happened again and no doubt it this won't be the last time. Heading north across the Wicklow (Ireland) county line into county Dublin on my commute every morning I cross a roundabout. I was on the roundabout yesterday morning when two cars approached the roundabout very fast (aprx 40 mph in a 30 mph zone - 40 mph doesn't sound fast, but you are really travelling onto a roundabout at that speed).

The law here dictates that traffic coming onto the roundabout MUST Stop and yield to traffic already on the roundabout. First car didn't even slow - he missed my front wheel by
about six inches. Scared the daylights out of me - even though I had guessed he would do it.
The second car was different though. I had eye contact and the driver, a young woman, slowed as if to stop. Then she put her foot down. Hard.
I saw it coming - nothing I could do.
She hit me broadside - probably about 25 - 30 mph.
I thought " That didn't hurt too bad" and then hit the ground.
I then thought "Ok - That DID hurt bad."
Then my helmet smashed into the concrete step that surrounds the rounabout and a half inch chunk of helmet flew off. (Don't even try to argue that wearing a helmet didn't save me from serious head injury.Helmets may not save everyone in every accident but it did its job perfectly this time)

Three years ago I had a lumbar disko Operation and now I was on the freezing wet road with my lower back is in absolute agony.
The driver got out of the car and asked if I am alright and I can't think of anything to say.
I was shaking really bad and in real pain from my back and minor pain from road rash.
The bike is about twenty yards from me and I have no idea what exactly happened to separate me from it.
The driver got into the car and reversed it at speed - this scared me into thinking she was about to run for it and I tried to stand but couldn't - too much back pain.
She returned and by this time several good samaritans are around and they tell me the ambulance is on its way.
I ask if the cops have been called and just know they haven't been - so I ask her to call them.
Ambulance arrived and short time later I am treated very well in hospital before being discharged 4 hours later. Bad cuts on my back, hands + backside , bruising and our old friend road rash just about everywhere except my face. Nothing serious though - the back turned out to be alright - just deep bruising. I cannot even sit because of bruising on my backside.
Haven't decided whether to press charges for dangerous driving and i haven't made my statement - I will go to the police station tomorrow to do that.
I will look for a new helmet, gloves and pump ( it got lost) from the driver. No doubt it will cost a lot less than she is expecting as unfortunately irish society is notoriously litigatious so she will be expecting her insurance to take a serious hit.

My wife got the bike for me - it wasn't damaged except for buckled wheels.Its a really cheap commuter bike anyway.

As I said it wasn't the first time I've been hit but it was the scariest and I have to think hard about whether commuting - I've got a family to consider. The day before this happened I had a VERY close call when a driver nearly hit me full on from a side road. It reall sank in in casualty as I realised I could have been crippled or killed.

Well, thanks for reading this - I know you guys understand better than anyone who doesn't ride.
dude that sux - glad you survived - make sure you get what you are entitled to - keep us posted on recovery - what's the condition of your bike?

managed to avoid this accident yesterday:
http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=89995

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
What's wrong with people?

Stories like this give me the willies. She saw you, she then ran right into you, and apparently wasn't trying to kill you, so WTF? Sorry to hear about all the physical damage but thank God it wasn't worse. Roundabouts are becoming more popular over here and we now have several of them. I've avoided them as people drive through the middle over the curbs, they don't look before entering, etc. Just insanity. I hope you heal up all right.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Glade to hear you are going to be alright. What's with drivers, they think they own the road. Keep us posted on the recovery and all the other details.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
I'm glad you're okay, that's terrible man.

I understand your not wanting to push this too far as the woman did stop to help, but that's what she should have done. I'm not saying to gouge her, but she should absolutley be responsible for the damages that you, your bike, and your equipment recieved. Or at least, her insurance should. There is nothing wrong with getting back from someone what has been taken from you, even if it was an accident.

joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts