Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A driver who was doing anything put paying attention pulled out in front of me today and a crash ensued. The driver was sited and my bike and my arm are now wrecked. I realize I was lucky enough to even walk away from the crash and it could have been loads worse. My biggest fears now are that the insurance company will try to rip me off in replacing my bike, but mostly that my confidence is shot and I will never be comfortable on the road again.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
do something about it. make your voice heard. speak out against motorists endangering cyclists in your city. make some noise, make it big. we need all the help we can get.

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
the ins company is WAY more interested in settling with you on medical expenses. they really don't sweat the relatively cheap property damages. so, don't settle the medical until you get the prop damages to your satisfaction. it doesn't hurt to get a good high-end shop to write up the damage estimate.

and, not to be cavalier about your experience, but it's possible to get past the mental trauma.

at least I have after being tagged three times. it's just part of the risks one accepts when riding in traffic.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Same thing happened to me a few weeks back, but I was lucky enough to escape unscathed. The driver admitted to me at the scene that not only did she not see me, she doesn't look for cyclists or kids. I bet she does now!

Anyway, her ins. co gave me a check for the repair estimate I got from my LBS (which was basically the complete bike). Now I'm shopping for a replacement bike.

·
Registered
27,619 Posts
Get back on the road.

Someone pulled out in front of you? An avoidable accident. Drivers don't always see cyclists, but you can sure see them! You can see them poised to dart in front of you, and the whites of their eyes. You can yell at the top of your lungs, "DON"T MOVE!" And if they don't hear you, you can take evasive action, like in a dance. No way you can do that in a car. Just bike on the bike paths and side streets whenever possible, and when on a busy street, watch for side traffic, whether cars or people. Never assume the right of way. Slow down if in doubt. The bike crashes I've seen over the years always involved a cyclist going too fast in the traffic flow and assuming people see him coming. What's the saying, "Caution is the better part of valor?"

As much as I like to play with traffic at crossings and intersections, the last time I came close to a hit was last year when rather foolishly going in front of a lady waiting to turn into heavy traffic. I was on the sidewalk, to her right, but she was looking to her left for an opportunity to spring. I impatiently muttered something like, "Watch it!," then crossed in front just as she took her foot off the brakes. She cried, "Ohh!!" stepping on the brakes, just clipping my rear fender. I rode on, thinking she might have learned something from this close encounter, and thanking my dumb luck for having just scraped out of a potential disaster, much the same as a day many years ago, while biking on Beach Drive, Rock Creek Park, DC, a huge oak tree toppled over with a loud crash, on the exact spot on the street I was passing moments before. I could have easily avoided this close call, if I'd stopped and gotten her attention before passing in front, or just crossing behind her, checking, of course for other approaching traffic.

So don't be afraid. Riding nearly 30 years in urban environments, I've found cycling to be relatively safe. You just have to be alert, watch where you're going, and anticipate others' actions, as my example above illustrates. :shocked:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Get a Lawyer. The insurance companies expect it, even if they try to convince your otherwise. If you have had any significant medical treatment, get a lawyer. You may pay 1/3 or your settlement for legal, but it will be worth your peace of mind.

The lawyer will keep the bill collectors off your back as you get long term medical treatment. He/she will manage the documentation you need to give the insurance Co. for your expenses. He/she should advise you on what intangible expenses you may be able to claim ( lost PTO, travel time and mileage, your hourly for paperwork, and others you may not have receipts for).

Document everything. Every receipt, phone call, car drive, Dr. visit.

The insurance co. will want to settle fast, but make sure you are 100% well before you accept anything. I was hit by a car in Feb, and got my property settlement check in April, but still getting medical treatment, so that settlement is still pending.

As for getting back to riding, I suggest start riding as soon as you are able. It's good to ride with friends early on. Take short trips as your health and psyche allow. It will feel normal soon enough.

·
Registered
150 Posts
cleopatra said:
A driver who was doing anything put paying attention pulled out in front of me today and a crash ensued. The driver was sited and my bike and my arm are now wrecked. I realize I was lucky enough to even walk away from the crash and it could have been loads worse. My biggest fears now are that the insurance company will try to rip me off in replacing my bike, but mostly that my confidence is shot and I will never be comfortable on the road again.
I haven't been a bike accident yet (knock on wood), but I imagine it will be like anything else. You will probably be nervous at first, but you'll slowly get more comfortable again. You'll probably always be more cautious or paranoid, but that isn't always a bad thing. Just don't let it get you down too much! Just get back out there and ride once you can.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thinking that your confidence has to be shot after an accident is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Trust me, I'm spewed enough negativity and hatred on these forums for people to knock some sense into me so that I could reach my potential and stop limiting myself in whatever I'd tried to accomplish. I'd say to challenge yourself to renew your confidence in yourself and see what happens. What is the worst that could happen, when all is said and done?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Three words......

Pain and suffering.....

If you play it right, you could come out way ahead............I did.

If you play it wrong, you will not be happy.

I collected enough to pay for all new 7800 components for my bike, a new concrete driveway and garage floor, and a couple G's left over.

And I only missed one day of training.

·
Registered
246 Posts
cleopatra said:
but mostly that my confidence is shot and I will never be comfortable on the road again.
dont have to worry bout that, over some time your fear/wound will heal. i had a major car accident during rainy day. but till now still have some fear driving fast during raining days. but i felt much better after some time.

·
Registered
756 Posts
+1 to getting a lawyer. One of my co-workers got hit 5-6 months ago and still has nerve damage and pain which may never get back to regular. The cost of a new bike is insubstantial compared to the possible medical costs involved; sometimes you may have no idea of a problem until later, especially due to the adrenaline rush just after getting hit. For permanent life-altering injuries, a good personal injury lawyer will have an idea of what is "fair" compensation for these types of unfortunate losses.

Be careful assuming you can do everything without the help of a professional. The guys the insurance company have doing their work are pros who do this for a living, and you are not. Their job is to pay out as little as possible on claims and maximize company profit. Another way to think about it is if you had a severe toothache or broken bone, who would you trust to do the best job of treating it: a trained and experienced medical professional or yourself?

As for confidence, life is short so enjoy it the best you can! I've been in a highway accident where the car flipped over 3 times and survived, but I definitely could've had my ticket punched that day. One of my best friends died unexpectedly when he drowned while vacationing on his 10th wedding anniversary. No matter what you do, nothing is guaranteed, but you can't be a slave to fear. Take it a little at a time and you can overcome the fear: when you are ready ride some on the MUP away from traffic, then a short distance on the roads, maybe with friends, and build back up your confidence.

Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Or don't get a lawyer

Chef Tony said:
Get a Lawyer. The insurance companies expect it, even if they try to convince your otherwise.
IME, repeatedly telling the insurance company that "I'd hate to have to get a lawyer involved," greatly speeded up the process and got a very satisfactory settlement.

To the OP, just be sure you don't sign anything until you are fully satisfied that you've been properly reimbursed AND that you're not going to have any long term medical issues.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Tons of great, valid advice in this thread.

I've been hit three times, and the insurance companies' response regarding property damage has been different each time. I may be done trying to negotiate myself and perhaps will retain a lawyer next time I get doinked.

As for regaining confidence-ride with HATE is my motto. Long story, but I was assaulted once while riding home from work-ambulance ride and 5 stitches to the head. I refused to be scared after the incident and HAD to get on my bike and ride the same route the next day, otherwise THEY WON. That was over 20 years ago. So get out there again.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've been hit by a car recently as well. Bike is totaled and the driver's insurance agent was telling me they wanted to get an estimate so they could apply depreciation to the bike. Every bike store plus my insurance agent are all telling me that they owe me replacement value to put me on a similar bike. If they don't own up to it, I'm definitely getting a lawyer.

Has anyone not received replacement value on the bike from an accident where they weren't at fault?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I was just hit a month ago, first hit. Only damage was rear wheel, and der hanger.

Sent an invoice and estimate, along with pics to Geico. They called me yesterday to tell my check was on the way.

There shouldn't be any depreciation. The point of insurance is to get you back as you were before the aciddent and/or on something equivalent. I would not settle for depreciation.

My rear wheel was bent, trued back to about 80-90 percent, which is unacceptable, so a new wheelset will be had with the money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.