Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It finally happened... after 20+ years of riding I ended up on a hood of a car this morning.

This happened by the stone picnic tables, I was heading clockwise around- when a car coming towards me turned right in front of me to park, I hit the passenger front fender and landed on the hood. And I saw it... I saw he was going to turn in front of me.... and I just couldn't get the bike stopped, kind of in slow motion, but it was a split second... put a dent in the guys car. And I'm laying on the hood thinking.... wow, I'm ok. And I'm fine, just both shines are bruised and my left thigh and pretty much my left side is sore, but that's it... I'm lucky. I think I was able to brake just enough to help the impact speed.

Another cyclist saw everything and immediatly calls 911 to get an officer out.. and starts yelling at guy that hit me, as it turns out he has no drivers license... I'm glad the other cyclist saw it all. So an ambulance arrives as well a fire truck ... I'm checked out, bp taken and ok and sign a release not to go to hospital...

Below this is why the City of Dallas SUCKS!!!

We wait.. me and the guy who hit me, and the fire truck. So one of the fire fighters comes over and tells me that he thinks that it is my fault as well as the drivers fault, since I should have beem looking!!! I couldn't believe this.. and the guy that hit me actually steps up and admits that it was totally his fault, not mine to the fire fighter... at this point I'm trying to ask the name of this firefighter, but he is quickly walking away back to the fire truck and the fire truck leaves.

So me and the guy are still waiting... for the police that NEVER SHOW UP!!! After at least 20 minutes I need ice and ibprofen.. so I leave too.... The guy that hit me turned out to be pretty nice and was very sorry, and was still willing to wait for the police without having a drivers license...

Anyway.... the City of Dallas sucks... between Sheffield Kadane, police that are always at the lake giving cyclist tickets for running stop signs and don't show up when a cyclist is hit is beyond unacceptable... and further for a firefighter to offer up his opinion to someone who has just been hit by a car that it could be partly their fault, is just B.S.

I'm pretty fed up and sore.... so sorry for the rant. but the good news is, my bike appears to be ok!!

· Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah if this is the worse incident with a car that happens.. I'll take it, I was lucky! I can't imagine a harder impact, like we've all read about.... makes me pretty scared about riding.

I have a gps and it is wierd to see the graph where the accident occured.... just suddenly/verticily the speed line drops to zero... and another wierd thing is my max speed shows 66mph. Obviously a glitch, but wierd.

stay safe.

· i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Dang PR! Sorry to hear that. I'm glad you are OK.

FWIW, I live less than 3 miles from the lake. If you, or anyone else for that matter, ever need any help to get home, I can be there in under 10 minutes with my truck. PM me and I'll send you my cell number.

Send this story to Sheffie Kadane. I'm sending it to the author of that crappy article.

· Registered
25 Posts
As a side not to your story (and glad that you are OK for sure) - I live at the lake and commute to West End pretty often - so I see the car and bike cops both at the lake writing tickets AS WELL as at the substation at Munger. All I can say (preaching to the choir I'm sure) is that a majority of bike cops downtown pay no mind to any traffic laws (including using the sidewalk, going the wrong way down a one way, not yielding a lane (even to a bike!), swerving around like an 8yr old, not stopping for lights or stop signs, etc). Pot has never met kettle.

Again - in context not that important - glad you were not broken in the accident.

· Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks innergel!! And I'm not surprised deroses, yes the pot has never met the kettle, lol

I just wanted to add, since my post is kind of negative.... I don't think all of Dallas sucks, just some of the city leaders(mainly one) and well most of the police force.. (sorry)

But...for the most part, my rides at WRL are pretty non-eventful, most everyone is friendly, I get waves and give waves, I talk to other users with bikes and without.... and I just enjoy the lake and get a workout. Yes there are some angry users, but I just don't see many of these people, hardly ever... (mostly just read about them)

For the most part the lake is a happy place!

· Registered
36 Posts
Glad to hear that you are OK. I ride WRL every weekend and can't help thinking that I could get hit one day. But I guess we have to ride on and try to stay safe. It pissed me off to hear that the fireman said that it was partly your fault. That's why Bicycling magazine said that Dallas was one of the worst cities for cyclists. I guess you have to break an arm or leg for someone to come out.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
That stone tables area is one of my personal "alert zones" at the lake. Always seems to be a high concentration of moreons who have a high obliviosity index.

But I usually take the left at the bathhouse and go up the hill for that stretch.

Glad you're ok. Not surprised about the cops...sadly.

· Registered
365 Posts
Definitely glad that you made it out of that healthy. And yes it sucks mightily that you can't even get police attention when you have been hit.

It can be worse though. I got sideswiped in a right hook situation in Plano last year. The only difference was that I had just enough time to slow and turn with the vehicle for a few feet before being hit. But hit I was, and the vehicle kept going. I bounced off the guy's fender and even stayed upright by unclipping. My bike was okay and the guy wasn't driving away very fast so I followed. I got his license number and snapped a picture of his vehicle. When it was clear that he wasn't speeding away, I called 911 as I rode and reported the hit and run. We were about 5 blocks from downtown Plano and police were near enough that I could ride and talk to the 911 operator while they moved in to stop the person that hit me.

Once they did that and I pulled up, two officers were already talking to the driver. One other officer on the scene came over to take my information. I thought it was weird at the time that no one ever asked me if I was all right, just wanted to confirm that I was the person who had called in saying that I had been hit. My only guess was that they either didn't believe me or assumed that I was all right since I was still riding my bike. Looking back I guess at first they were trying to figure out if there was somebody else who had been hit. Maybe.

In the middle of this, the driver came over to the officer with me and admitted that he had hit me, and that he had not stopped to render aid. And just like in your situation, the driver was a pretty nice guy. An officer asked him why he had not stopped if he knew that he had hit me and he said that he was afraid that I was going to beat him up, especially when I wouldn't quit following him away from the scene and kept trying to get him to pull over. I asked the driver if he knew that it was against the law to leave the scene of an accident. He said that he did. I started to ask him if he had assumed that I was all right when I didn't go down, but just as I did one of the other Plano police officers who had been taking his information stepped in between us and started yelling in my face to back off.

I'm not kidding. His face was all of about 4 inches away from me and he was almost screaming. He yelled loud enough that people were stopping as they walked or drove by to see what was happening. I also noticed that the other two officers on the scene melted into their cars at that point too. I quit trying to say anything to the driver but when the officer stopped to look my information over, I did try to ask him why he was yelling at me. Very quickly it got to the point that every time I tried to say anything, he shouted me down and told me that it was not my place to be saying anything to the driver of the car. It went down hill from there, even after a corporal showed up in another police car to get that officer away from me.

To this day, I have no idea what set that officer off. But I am absolutely convinced that if I hadn't completely backed away and said nothing more, I would have ended up in jail. Pretty weird huh?

Heal up...and if you are a 50 year-old white guy commuting through east Plano with a backpack and a fixie, watch your step. Apparently you are considered to be a public menace. :thumbsup:

· Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow Rule! that is a pretty scary story... glad you didn't end up in jail! Sometimes they have their own agenda I guess... you never know....

I think some of the negativity are from people that don't want the 'responsibility' of looking out for cyclists on the road? I think people are scared they could hit us and any excuse that it is the cyclists fault would make their consceince feel better....

Creakyknees said:
But I usually take the left at the bathhouse and go up the hill for that stretch.
9 times out of 10 I go up the hill.... I think it will be 10 times out of 10 for a while!!!

· Registered
17 Posts
Pedalruns,

Sorry to hear about the hit, but glad to hear you're okay. Sadly, sometimes it seems WRL is a good place to get hit. I had to ditch it one evening when a police car came wide around of the corners. I really thought he was going to hit me. I tried to make eye contact, but he didn't even see me. I opted to head for the gutter. Reading about the fireman really made my blood boil. There are just so many things wrong with this event!

Again, glad to hear you're pretty much okay, and now you do a have a good story to tell.

· Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
David Cheakas said:
Pedalruns,

Sorry to hear about the hit, but glad to hear you're okay. Sadly, sometimes it seems WRL is a good place to get hit. I had to ditch it one evening when a police car came wide around of the corners. I really thought he was going to hit me. I tried to make eye contact, but he didn't even see me. I opted to head for the gutter. Reading about the fireman really made my blood boil. There are just so many things wrong with this event!

Again, glad to hear you're pretty much okay, and now you do a have a good story to tell.
Thanks David, I was lucky!! Do you see I"m showing off that red Ciocc!

· Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well my Merlin is damaged after all

Discovered a buldge in the down tube just before the weld before my ride tonight. RBM checked it out and pulled the fork to inspect just after the accident... but all looked ok but they missed the buldge.

I've been experience some slight steering problems since the accident(not really problems, just a different feel) and nearly fell on Sunday due to toe overlap, now I know why!!

The bike shop said the frame wouldn't fail suddenly or anything, since it was ti. But I think I'll still be looking for a new frame, too bad as I really like the Merlin, but with the now steeper geometry, severe toe overlap and different feel on the steering.... I'll feel better on a non-car smacked frame.

· Cpark
2,106 Posts
pedalruns said:
Yeah if this is the worse incident with a car that happens.. I'll take it, I was lucky! I can't imagine a harder impact, like we've all read about.... makes me pretty scared about riding.

I have a gps and it is wierd to see the graph where the accident occured.... just suddenly/verticily the speed line drops to zero... and another wierd thing is my max speed shows 66mph. Obviously a glitch, but wierd.

stay safe.
So, it was your fault!! Speeding at 66 mph....:D
Glad to hear you are not banged up too bad.
Hope you get a nice bike out of it.....

· Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cpark said:
So, it was your fault!! Speeding at 66 mph....:D
Glad to hear you are not banged up too bad.
Hope you get a nice bike out of it.....
lol, yeah and I was really drafting a semi- right before the collision!

Well the guy that hit me didn't even have a drivers license, and I doubt any insurance... (too bad it wasn't a Lexus driver or something like that!) and after the bike shop looked over the bike and said it was ok, I never contacted the driver again... So now over 3 weeks have passed... I think I'm just out of luck as far as getting any money.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.