Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first accident and it was a dousy. I was hit by what else, a black chevy tahoe while riding to work may 21st. I was at the corner of damen and jackson. The tahoe passed me and then hit his brakes and turned right. He took out my front wheel and i took a spill. I am still in the hospital almost a week later. My knee was really messed up, Had 3 hours of surgery and i had 2 broken elbows and surgery on my wrist. I will probably have to have a knee replacement sometime in the future. The driver did stop and a police report filed. Does any one have some good advice or possibly see me? Sorry about punctuation and spelling, but it hurts.

Thanks,

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
John Nelson said:
Get a good attorney.
+1. with injuries like that there are bound to be complications for some time to come. Not a bike/car accident to deal with on your own IMO.

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Damn! Sorry to hear that, man (man in the gender-neutral sense)! I hope you recover well. I'm a commuter too, and that sort of stuff scares me, until I see how many bad car-on-car accidents there are every day and am glad I'm not in my car.

+2 on the lawyer.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Lawyer up. Now. Try checking with some of the Chicago-area cycling advocacy groups and bike clubs for recommendations for a good cycling accident attorney. With luck, you can find someone who will take less than one-third of your damages, but don't worry about that for now. Get some references, then start calling attorneys. Ask them for references (i.e. clients they've helped) and call the local bar association to make sure they've not had serious complaints against them. Do it NOW so they can get photos of your injuries. Good luck and heal up fast.

(This comes from personal experience with a hit-and-run MVA.)

·
Registered
122 Posts
emcmino said:
My first accident and it was a dousy. I was hit by what else, a black chevy tahoe while riding to work may 21st. I was at the corner of damen and jackson. The tahoe passed me and then hit his brakes and turned right. He took out my front wheel and i took a spill. I am still in the hospital almost a week later. My knee was really messed up, Had 3 hours of surgery and i had 2 broken elbows and surgery on my wrist. I will probably have to have a knee replacement sometime in the future. The driver did stop and a police report filed. Does any one have some good advice or possibly see me? Sorry about punctuation and spelling, but it hurts.

Thanks,
Just sent you a message.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
With those injuries, should be worth $20,000/25,000 minimum, pain & suffering (after they pay all your hospital, bike, work loss, and clothing damages)....and that with no Lawyer.
I just collected $5600 for pain & suffering for an ER trip and no time off from work. (no lawyer).

·
Registered
122 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
With those injuries, should be worth $20,000/25,000 minimum, pain & suffering (after they pay all your hospital, bike, work loss, and clothing damages)....and that with no Lawyer.
I just collected $5600 for pain & suffering for an ER trip and no time off from work. (no lawyer).
Those estimates could very well be low.

emcmino, get in touch.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Sorry to hear of your injuries. I winced just reading about them. I agree with Team Sheepshead. Get a good lawyer, and do it yesterday. Hope you're feeling lots better soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for your well wishes and advise. Sorry it took so long for me to get back but my pt wore me out today and i have had a pretty rough night pain wise. Just for more info since some people might care, my surgery was a fibial plateau sugery. The doctor said on a scale of not bad, middle of the road and serious, that mine was serious. I lost my miniscus too. Will probably have to have a knee replacement surgery at some point again in my life ( i am 31) At least thank god for the helmet.

·
Colorado Springs, CO
631 Posts
emcmino said:
Thanks everyone for your well wishes and advise. Sorry it took so long for me to get back but my pt wore me out today and i have had a pretty rough night pain wise. Just for more info since some people might care, my surgery was a fibial plateau sugery. The doctor said on a scale of not bad, middle of the road and serious, that mine was serious. I lost my miniscus too. Will probably have to have a knee replacement surgery at some point again in my life ( i am 31) At least thank god for the helmet.
Four advice points:

1) Get a good lawyer.Lawyer doesn't mean going to court and suing (that's one extreme), but more of someone to represent your interests with a clear head and knowledge of what you are entitled to.

2) Keep up with your PT. I broke my shoulder skiing about 10 years ago, kept up with the PT religiously, and have full range of motion back. The first few weeks were hell, but I didn't want to be 80 years old and have my shoulder be locked up from a old skiing injury. What you do now will reap ample dividends later.

3) Scour this website for other I-hit-the-cyclist experiences. Probably a lot of stuff in these postings that will job your memory and to discuss with your lawyer.

4) Write down the day you got hit and see where you are a year from that date. Bet you have fully recovered and are back on your bike. Time heals all wounds, but don't forget your journey either.

Good luck and happy fast mending!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.