Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're selling our car with a roof rack, and I need to get a rack system on the next vehicle to replace it. I am leaning towards a hitch mount system and would like your opinion.

First of all, aren't most hitches two inches? The Saris lists compatibility with both 2 inch and 1.25 inch hitches. I'm assuming that I should be getting the 2 inch tow hitch.

Secondly, what rack do you recommend? We're looking to transport 2 trek road bikes. Currently I am considering the Saris T-Rax Pro and the Saris Cycle On Pro.

Let me know your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Softride

2" or 1-1/4" hitches depend on your particular vehicle's towing capacity. My Tundra has a 2" hitch and my wife's XC70 has a 1-1/4" hitch. We have a Softride bike rack that fits both, but it's an inconvenient to swap. So I keep it in the 1-1/4" setup and just buy an adapter to fit into the 2" hitch whenever I need it for my truck.

I recommend the Softride because it can carry up to 4 bikes, tilt's down to clear the tailgate or rear door, keeps the bike upright even when tilting, and has a built in cable for locking your bikes. The price is fairly good too. I got it for $135 but seen them around for $150 to $250 depends on where you find them at.

Also, the arms are detachable when not in used and can be switched out with other accessories such as a ski and snowboard rack. It's stable and strong as well and the arms configuration allow for almost any kind of bike frame to fit without the top tube adapter.

http://www.softride.com/product.asp?p=40

Timmons said:
We're selling our car with a roof rack, and I need to get a rack system on the next vehicle to replace it. I am leaning towards a hitch mount system and would like your opinion.

First of all, aren't most hitches two inches? The Saris lists compatibility with both 2 inch and 1.25 inch hitches. I'm assuming that I should be getting the 2 inch tow hitch.

Secondly, what rack do you recommend? We're looking to transport 2 trek road bikes. Currently I am considering the Saris T-Rax Pro and the Saris Cycle On Pro.

Thanks.

·
Colorado Springs, CO
629 Posts
Get a Swing-Away Rack...

The size of the receiver hitch is usually associated with the size of the car you buy. If you buy something like a Subaru Outback, it will have a 1.5 inch receiver. If you buy a truck or SUV, it will probably have a 2 inch hitch.

One thing about the receiver hitch racks to watch for is if they swing away, tilt down, or don't move at all. If you have an SUV or hatchback, you'll probably want to get into the cargo area without taking the bikes off the rack. So, a sawing-arm type rack will work best, allowing the bike rack to get out of the way so you can get into the cargo area.

I picked up a THULE swing-away rack a couple, of weeks ago. The hardware is top-notch, comes with a locking pin for the receiver, swings and rotates out of the way without much hassle so you can get into the cargo area. When empty, everything collapses down and rotates up next to the car so there aren't pointy things sticking out. Adds about 15 inches off the back of the vehicle when stowed. Also, the THULE comes with locking cables integrated right into the rack and has screw down latches to keep it from rattling when empty. One end of the rubber parts are anchored to the rack so they don't walk away. It was pricey (about $380), but it is a solid and easy to use rack. Easy on and off for bikes.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
fork mount

Timmons said:

Thanks.
I am really anal about my bike getting scratched by racks that hold the bike by the top tube. This is especially true if your brake cable runs exposed underneath the top tube. Although a bit more hassle I like racks that use a fork mount and tray like a roof rack (I use the Hollywood ProRider). These type of racks also eliminate any type of sway that can occur with a top tube holder.

·
Administrator
12,943 Posts
Always go with a 2 inch receiver.

I like Thule stuff quite a bit. Good product, good company.

:)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about 1UP?

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bike_Rack/product_123900.shtml

Does anyone have experience with this product?
Does anyone have comments on the wheel holding racks?

I like the idea of this as my trek has the cables below the top tube.

I also like how small this rack can store and how easy it will be to put in and take off of the car. I imagine that I won't be leaving it there unless the bike is on it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I recently put a Yakima Fullswing hitch rack on my Element and it's really nice. Easy to move out of the way (with bikes on it even) if you need to get in the back.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are the Yakima and Thule racks easy to put on (and take off) of the vehicle?

I usually travel the bikes on the weekend and can't imagine wanting to leave the rack on all week.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sportsworks

I've got the sportsworks. It works great. Only the tires are touched by the rack. Bikes go on and off in 30 seconds. The only problem is the rack is heavy to pick up and put on the car. Other than that, the rack is perfect for both road and mtn bikes.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Timmons said:
Are the Yakima and Thule racks easy to put on (and take off) of the vehicle?

I usually travel the bikes on the weekend and can't imagine wanting to leave the rack on all week.
the one I have takes about a minute to take it off or put on. You just unlock it and use the wrench it comes with to pull the pin, simple as that.
If I'm only hauling one bike I pull the rack off and just load it in the back.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have had a Sportworks, Yakima, and Hollywood rack. IMHO the Hollywood is best. The sportworks sticks out way to far (3 feet for two bikes). The Yakima sucked to strap bikes down. The Hollywood just works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts