Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking at some Sidi Genius 4s, which Total has for $109US. anyone have recent experience with Total, so that you might be able to tell me how much i could expect to pay in the end?

also, how do Sidi's run, size-wise?

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
the Inbred said:
i was looking at some Sidi Genius 4s, which Total has for $109US. anyone have recent experience with Total, so that you might be able to tell me how much i could expect to pay in the end?

Shipping will only run you 12 bucks. TC is one of the best deals out there. Too bad the dollar is so weak.

·
Registered
676 Posts
the Inbred said:
1) I've had nothing but excellent service from TC.....
2) SIDI's run a little narrow (C width??)...that's the only brand of shoe that satisfies me 150%....excellent quality; no complaints!!
(another excellent site is xpedia)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, I did....

I ordered some Sidi Genius 4's from them about 2 months ago. Total price, including shipping, came to $159.00 US based on the exchange rate at that time. They arrived at my house in Virginia via DHL, from Northern Ireland in three (yes, 3 ) days from the day I ordered them. I was impressed.

·
lyleseven
490 Posts
Great company to deal with..

Sidi's run narrow unless you get the mega model. They also run just a tad shorter than DMTs, which I prefer over Sidis, but own both.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got some Genius there earlier this year. I had them in under a week with the standard shipping which is, I think, $16. The total w/ the FX was around $145 with shipping. Great deal. Try a pair on though before ordering, all shoes fit differently and you'll want these to fit right. Good luck

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
do any of y'all have experience with Speccy's shoes? i'm currently using some 2001 Specialized Teams and think they feel just a tad too wide. i went with them over Sidis because i don't exactly have the Euro body. i suppose the Sidis will fit like a glove then?

(i'd go to a shop and try on a pair, but then i'd feel kinda obligated, you know?)

--edit--

oh, you know what? i'm going to be using Egg Beaters. since the 'platform' is so small, are the soles of the Genius 4s going to be stiff enough?

·
Registered
676 Posts
(i'd go to a shop and try on a pair said:
If every customer felt obligated to purchase the item they evaluated, tested, tried on or 'slammed the doors on', I'd be back in Sales this afternoon.....(this is what separates a salesperson from a clerk).....if your conscious has any iota of guilt, frequent the LBS and purchase other less expensive items... there's no obligation to spend $200 when you can spend only $120. If you're still bothered by the transaction, send the remaining $80. to the MS Society :) .

·
Registered
602 Posts
like a broken record.

nothing but the best service from Mike and the gang from Totalcycling. First purchase was Aug. '00 (Ksyrium's). After several years and serveral thousand dollars I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
$129, not $109

the Inbred said:

Some of the US dollar prices on the site are outdated. The current value of 70 english pound is $129, so don't be surprised. It's still chaeaper than any US source.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've had several great experiences with Total Cycling. That said, be sure to use an online currency converter the day of your purchase.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Now, with the exchange rate for the U.S. dollar in the toilet, they aren't as good a deal when you factor in shipping and the random duty fees (sometimes I got the extra charge by customs, other times I didn't). You'll still save about $50 or so, though, on the Sidis.

·
Lactic Acid Life
11 Posts
Did exactly what you did.

I got my Genius 4s from TC about a year ago but the dollar was a little stronger. They were very easy to deal with and shipped very quickly (DHL). Sidis fit a little on the small (short) side. They are like a C width. I love 'em though! Very tough and stiff. Don't worry about the stiffness with eggbeaters, I have Speedplays and they are perfect.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
ooo...the plot thickens...

a guy/local shop owner offered me some PI Vapors for $150 out the door.

carbon sole/non-white (i have a fetish for white stuff) vs. non-carbon/white...hmmm...

--edit--

[rant]
oh yeah, i went to a shop and tried them on. the same shop that is helping us, Texas 4000, out with bikes. on the local board, i got the usual "support you LBS and they will support you" line. $209 at the LBS. i'm under the assumption that they're gonna help us out with shoes and such, but i can't get any answers from anyone. not sure if i want to wait to get an answer, or if i want to just order them. i hate waiting. i've been buying from this shop for 4yrs and still haven't seen this "appreciation" that most other riders speak so highly of, unless it's from the mechs...whom i know outside of the shop. bah,
[/rant]

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
An LBS isn't a cash cow for the owner. It would be doing well if the shop is making any profit at all. Don't expect discounts just because you're a regular. Rather, you're more likely get good personal service.

If I can't buy it online without visiting a shop to check it out, then I won't buy it online. I won't use the folks in my local shop just to undercut them on the final sale. It's not nice.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Reliable, Good Folks ... go for it

I bought my Sidis from TC 2 years ago. Their price smashed everyone elses.

If you are confident of the size, you should buy from them. Shipping was a bit more expensive to the me in the US (but with their price so low it didn't matter). Also, it took about 5 more days than I expected, but I wasn't in a hurry and was willing to wait on account of the big savings.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PdxMark said:
An LBS isn't a cash cow for the owner. It would be doing well if the shop is making any profit at all. Don't expect discounts just because you're a regular. Rather, you're more likely get good personal service.

If I can't buy it online without visiting a shop to check it out, then I won't buy it online. I won't use the folks in my local shop just to undercut them on the final sale. It's not nice.
yeah, i realize all that. i'm not saying i expect personal discounts, but that personal service would be nice. the shop where i do get a little discount, and awesome service, though, doesn't stock shoes. i suppose we could go on and on about LBS loyalty, though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts