Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about a year ago it was my first race season albeit as a master, and started racing in our weekly crit series in a local park. the racers were real squirrelly in the 4/5's and a friend of mine went down breaking his neck. Because of this incident, I started a thread asking if there was anything more dangerous than a 4/5 crit and got hammered by the folks here...saying there were a lot of dangerous things out there and to htfu. I got my miffed and told you guys to stuff it.

Well here I am with hat in hand saying you were right, I was wrong. a week ago I had an accident riding back from a workout not more than a mile from home hitting a car head on and breaking my neck...not sure exactly what happened since I lost consciousness, but thank God there are no neuro injuries...I have to wear a collar for six weeks and no surgery is required.

Anyway, you guys were right...often times racing may be the safest place to be because everyone is so aware...it's after the workout or race when everyone is kicking back that bad things often happen...Anyway, I will be fine and will hopefully be able to train on my trainer starting next week.

by the way, just to reinforce the obvious, if I hadn't been wearing my helmet I would be dead. Be careful out there.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear about your accident. It's true that life is dangerous, but that doesn't mean we should live carelessly.

Get well, wear a RoadID and make sure your family knows your thoughts about being an organ donor.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident...it's never a good thing when something like that happens, whether on the road or in a race. The simple fact is you can only control your actions and not those of others....so everything in life is a risk, it's just a matter of how much of a risk you are willing to take.

Just riding a bike has inherant dangers that we all know about.

I hope your recovery process goes well and you are back on the bike in short order :)

·
Don't Tread on Me
993 Posts
Wow - Hope you have a speedy and complete recovery.

I used to road race motorcycles, and it's a similar scenario. The streets are dangerous, and many people would say I'm crazy for racing, when in the end, a competent racer is much safer on the track.

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
Creakyknees said:
Damn, sorry to hear about your accident. It's true that life is dangerous, but that doesn't mean we should live carelessly.

Get well, wear a RoadID and make sure your family knows your thoughts about being an organ donor.
+1
I need to get one of those.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
get well.

·
TWD
540 Posts
best of luck with a full recovery. Its been a total crash fest this year in Seattle area 4's and Masters so I wouldn't say its safer. Your cycling luck should be good for the future though ... sounds like you have paid the crash demons

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all the well wishers....I am a surgeon, so crashing has been an issue my entire 8 year cycling career. But at some point you realize that crashing is part of the sport, and the risk has to be accepted or you just have to quit. That doesn't mean one should not be careful and do all he or she can to ameliorate the risk, it just means it is part of the sport. Everyone stay healthy and keep the rubber side down.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
Just saw this. Glad you're going to mend.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really can't remember since I lost consciousness...but my guess is that I was rushing home because I had a patient waiting on me at the office, I was going through a congested construction area, and somehow got spooked or distracted...just cannot remember. Bottom line is to be attentive and careful even riding to and from your workout, race, group ride, etc.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
FWIW-the most afraid I've been riding has been at "charity" rides. At least with races, you can assume most riders have some bike-handling skillz. Charity rides? Not so much.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Funny thing...all my non-cycling friends just assume I will quit cycling or at least racing. I tell them it would be easier for me to quit breathing than quit cycling. They just shake their heads....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.