Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Urbane
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
light it!

the stoves get about 15 minutes of full on burn on about 3oz or so of Everclear. Super light, easy (and fun) to make and somewhat wind resistant.

Good times await.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
That is so cool.

I wanna make one now.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
What do the pennies do? Would it work 10 times as well if you used a dime?

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
I hadn't seen the penny before. Looks like you might need to drill a few more holes so that you get a blue flame. Or, it could be the grain alcohol - if you use the home improvement store variety (non-drinkable) it burns hotter. I've used one before, and it works fairly well for boiling a cup of tea, but they typically don't put out enough heat to do any major cooking. Post some pics when you use it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good goin' guys. I have many cups of joe and a lot of simple meals cooked on beer can stoves. I made a bunch up for Christmas presents last year. I haven't used the penny/ Heinekin (sp?) version. It's supposed to be more effecient. BTW, I don't know what your fuel costs but it would seem the hardware store stuff would be a lot cheaper. Not only that but some of us could be out of "fuel" after the first night out. :D

Gary

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I made a similar stove that uses a screw instead of the penny. Works well. There are cheaper sources for the fuel. I use denatured alcohol. I understand you can use the Heet (for water in gas).

Here is a link that talks about the different alcohol. Also the base link zenstoves, lists lots of options for stoves. The photon stove is the similar stove.

http://zenstoves.net/Fuels.htm#Alcohol

-- John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts