Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next time I hear somneone say that I'm going to squirt them in the face with my water bottle...providing they are behind me of course =) I have only had it said to me twice in two seasons but I hear it alot among the field and its pretty lame. If someone is squirrely then all you have to do is find another position or simply say something loud but not something as moronic as that. Now, ""On your left On your left !!"" is entirely understandable.

Are there others out there that have opinions on the matter concerning in race terminology and cras use of expression?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yelling "on your right" or "on your left"

during a race, IMO, is really silly! In fact, an appropriate response would be: "Thanks! Now I don't have to look!" as I pull in front of you to protect my position in the pack and force you to first to brake and then to reaccelerate.

Like you said, if there is a squirley or unsafe rider near you, move away from him/her. In the meantime, protect your bike with your arms and your body.

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
djg21 said:
during a race, IMO, is really silly! In fact, an appropriate response would be: "Thanks! Now I don't have to look!" as I pull in front of you to protect my position in the pack and force you to first to brake and then to reaccelerate.

Like you said, if there is a squirley or unsafe rider near you, move away from him/her. In the meantime, protect your bike with your arms and your body.
That's not entirely true.... if you're passing someone on a windey descent who is A) sketchy and B) obviously a very unsure, very slow descender, you could be going 10 mph faster then they are. If you don't let them know you're passing they could take you out. It's not like warning them is going to make them all of a sudden pick up the pace by 10mph.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Experts

CARBON110 said:
...Are there others out there that have opinions on the matter concerning in race terminology and cras use of expression?
I usually just shake my head and smile. Like you I have only been "coached" in a race a couple of times, but hear it directed at plenty of others, especially at the start before the newbies are shelled out the back. Let them waste their energy yelling.

When a particular rider gets too annoying or doesn't like my pack position, tactics, failure to chase down a break, etc. I usually say "If you are so good how come you are racing in my category?"

·
Registered
8 Posts
no biggie

I don't generally mind any of the things being said that have been mentioned. I guess I'd rather have people saying "hold your line" than people swerving all over the road. It seems that some people lose focus, get nervous, or whatever, and forget how to go straight. Yes, some people overuse it or yell (which is equally annoying), but I've also seen where it helps prevent accidents. Just seems like its part of racing and not an issue for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts