Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am about to install an r700 shimano compact crank and I was wondering if i need to buy the tool for the bottom bracket or if i can use a regular bb tool or something else? Also having never worked with a compact crank, do i need to lower the front derailleur or anything?

Thank you
Cleveland
Life is so Cool!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
If the new crank is compatible with the existing BB, you do not need to remove it, just bolt on the new crank. If the BB is not compatible, you need the appropriate BB tools to remove/replace. The FD will need to be lowered for optimal shifting. Shortening the chain may be necessary.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
cleveland said:
Hey all,

I am about to install an r700 shimano compact crank and I was wondering if i need to buy the tool for the bottom bracket or if i can use a regular bb tool or something else? Also having never worked with a compact crank, do i need to lower the front derailleur or anything?

Thank you
Cleveland
Life is so Cool!!!
The R-700 is a Hollowtech II (Hollowtech is the old style with a separate bottom bracket). You will need the tool to install the BB cups. - TF

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.