Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going on a year-long-cycling-trip. I do not know a lot about technical bike stuff but I was told that hollowtech II bottom brackets break easily? Can anyone give me some advice? Is there a good alternative? My bracket is about 15000km old.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
There's a plastic hat washer that can break on some models. Get your shop to press Enduro stainless bearings into your existing cups and you will be golden. The Enduro bearings are slightly larger and don't use the hat washer. The larger bearings carry more load.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
I imagine that a square taper cartridge would be the easiest to find on short notice... depending on where you are going. but if you're worried about it perhaps carry spare?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
"I am going on a year-long-cycling-trip. I do not know a lot about technical bike stuff "

I see a problem here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I now have cranckset Shimano FC M580 (LX).
I took a look at the Chris King website but what is the difference with the Shimano BB?

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
If it's that big a concern then carry a spare ? The two parts aren't that big or heavy. I would think if you are on a year long trip some LBS would put it on for the cost of labor especially if they didn't have any in stock. You will need it sooner or later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts