Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a lot better than expected in my 50k trail race today- 6 hrs, 15 minutes and 2nd place female (8th finisher overall). I didn't expect to do so well because I've only been running for exactly one month today (before that, I ran last fall for x-training, but only a couple of short runs a week)

I'm not surprised at how sore I am. I have been reduced to shuffling because my quads are completely trashed :thumbsup:

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
I have no idea what this means for speed, the R word and I don't get on so well, but when I heard that you were gonna RUN for 50k, I thought, double you tee eff, mate?

From my limited experience expect your quads to be completely trashed for about the next seven years.

Still, nice work! :)

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
At first, I thought you meant for a trail ride, and figured, sounds about right....

...but this was a RUN? On a TRAIL??? Without training! And you placed 8th overall........wait, lemme guess: Uphill, both ways, barefoot, in the snow.

Mighty impressive.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I think they have good medications to treat masochism these days. Have you talked with your doctor about this?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
maybe try shock therapy?

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Fantastic result.

I feel compelled to say something about trail running---stupid because you're the exercise science genius and I'm just sharing an anecdote---but a friend of mine whom I ride with does a lot of trail running and adventure races, and got a stress fracture in the head of her femur from all the trail running, which kind of hosed her cycling for a year. So do be careful about the wear and tear on your body from the running.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Another one of my dreams dashed...

I was a pretty serious runner for almost 20 years, until my knees gave out--big guy, 6'4", looked like an athlete,.but my secret goal for all that time was to finish ahead of the first woman. The dream died today...
That's an awesome performance. Makes me sick to my stomach just thinking of it.

·
...?
1,481 Posts
I'm impressed. I barely made it through 5k races when I ran XC in HS.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i can't imagine running for that long. my longest run is an hour. 6+??? eff that.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
I balk at the idea of doing some base (3miler) runs in the off season for track.

No way in hell would I ever do something like that.

You're insane. And that is cool.

And, you have a lot of bar tape.

And, you love wrapping your bars.

That is all.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
uzziefly said:
I balk at the idea of doing some base (3miler) runs in the off season for track.

No way in hell would I ever do something like that.

You're insane. And that is cool.

And, you have a lot of bar tape.

And, you love wrapping your bars.

That is all.
Yep..

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have to go to the store... that's a good idea :D

Oh yeah- and there's no way I could possibly ride today. My leg muscles are so damaged that I am having a hard time keeping my balance just standing/shuffling around. It's pretty intense.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts