Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose it is like anything, including NNC machines, but the Girl has been talking about wanting a nicer sewing machine lately -- yours truly knows nothing of these.

Well, her grandmother is "downsizing" and permanently moving to snowbirdland, so she left the Girl one of her three machines. Oh, I won't be needing it any more.

I knew it was a "nice" one, so I figured it cost several hundred dollars, that seemed like a nice gift.

It's a model called a Pfaff Creative 2144. We poked around on google.

Wow. This is now the single most expensive item in our home. It would cost as much as a Dura-Ace equipped top-end race bike with Zipp wheels.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Dang! Pfaff does make really nice sewing machines...and anything that does emobroidery is gonna be high-dollar.

If that's the machine that Grandma gave away, I'd be interested to hear what she kept :eek:

·
Vintage cyclist
732 Posts
Argentius said:
Wow. This is now the single most expensive item in our home. It would cost as much as a Dura-Ace equipped top-end race bike with Zipp wheels.
Way to go keeping it in perspective! Now you know what to ask for the next time gifts are exchanged! :thumbsup:

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
To Bad

Grandma doesn't own three Colnagos....

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Nice, now can you embroider some lounge polo shirts for us?

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Yeah, my sister sold Bernina sewing machines for a while, so she has a couple. They are crazy expensive. The thing is, I wonder sometimes about the durability of the newer, highly computerized ones. Used to be, you'd have to pay some serious bucks for a fully mechanical Singer, but they'd be around forever. I know my Mom still has one that's 40 years old and still works great. My sister has (but no longer uses) one that belonged to my grandmother, and which dates to the early 60s, I think. I even have a cheap Singer that's so old it's driven by a leather belt--it works, but it kind of needs a tuneup and a new belt. Still, it's pretty ancient and still works.

I wonder if the high-tech marvels of today will hold up like that.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
I have an old Singer featherweight. The thing is simple, but will sew through just about anything.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We will see.

Well, I know that the grandmother is also passing on some software for this machine, which alone cost over $1,000.

The thing that seems to make these things crazy expensive is not the basic features that you and I think of as "sewing," but the fancy computerized embroidery features.

Maybe it is similar to comparing a downtube shifter, with Di2?

All I know is, if I use my iphone to take a picture of a company logo, I can upload it to the machine, and it will then embroider that logo on Chain's bizcazfri polos... the cool Singer that flipped down into something like a sideboard table that my mother had couldn't do that!

bikeboy389 said:
Yeah, my sister sold Bernina sewing machines for a while, so she has a couple. They are crazy expensive. The thing is, I wonder sometimes about the durability of the newer, highly computerized ones. Used to be, you'd have to pay some serious bucks for a fully mechanical Singer, but they'd be around forever. I know my Mom still has one that's 40 years old and still works great. My sister has (but no longer uses) one that belonged to my grandmother, and which dates to the early 60s, I think. I even have a cheap Singer that's so old it's driven by a leather belt--it works, but it kind of needs a tuneup and a new belt. Still, it's pretty ancient and still works.

I wonder if the high-tech marvels of today will hold up like that.

·
9,416 Posts
Argentius said:
Well, I know that the grandmother is also passing on some software for this machine, which alone cost over $1,000.

The thing that seems to make these things crazy expensive is not the basic features that you and I think of as "sewing," but the fancy computerized embroidery features.
A lot of the "fancy" stitches that spendy ones will do are really useful when working with odd fabrics like lycra and stuff. So they have that going for them too. And they will often sew much heavier material than cheap machines (but not always, and it'd be damn expensive to find out the limits of the machine).

I just worry that it takes a much smaller and less-fixable failure to disable these computerized wonders. While they're working, they're pretty awesome, and the spendy ones are supposed to be very reliable.

·
9,416 Posts
Chain said:
I have an old Singer featherweight. The thing is simple, but will sew through just about anything.
Mine looks a lot like that, but maybe not quite as old or industrial. I should really get it fixed up.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
my mother has a Bernina. she prefers the old Singer from 1982, she got it when she was the editor of Quilt World.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
My mother also has one of those fancy Bernina machines. Probably in the $10k range.

Oddly enough, my father also has his own, for doing boat upholstry and canvas for his sailboat. Mom didn't like the fact that she had to send her Bernina out for repair when he broke it trying to sew boat upholstry. Apparently, this thing can sew through something like 2" of leather and other crazy sh!t. It has some massive flywheel that belongs in a locomotive and a samurai sword for a needle.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Chain said:

hey, that's identical to my mom's! She used to sew all kinds of crazy stuff with it, too, like horse blankets and leather harness and Naugahyde curtains for the trailer and so on.

I personally have no clue how it works.

Arg, look on the bright side. The next time you bung up your fancy skinsuit in a crit, you can just have your gal sew it back together; those fancy new machines are particularly good on finicky lightweight fabrics like lycra, etc... (this is of course after she's done hollering at you about all the rips in your hide, that is.)

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shoot, thanks for reminding me why I am Not a Crit Racer. ;)

But you're right, this would be good on actually fixing my jerseys, we tried to repair a crashed set of bibs with her "regular" sewing machine and just made a mess of 'em.

lonefrontranger said:
hey, that's identical to my mom's! She used to sew all kinds of crazy stuff with it, too, like horse blankets and leather harness and Naugahyde curtains for the trailer and so on.

I personally have no clue how it works.

Arg, look on the bright side. The next time you bung up your fancy skinsuit in a crit, you can just have your gal sew it back together; those fancy new machines are particularly good on finicky lightweight fabrics like lycra, etc... (this is of course after she's done hollering at you about all the rips in your hide, that is.)

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
My mom used to be a seamstress for a career. She still has all her sewing machines. I'd guess maybe 4-5 modern ones, and 2 old ones that are foot powered. I was a guinea pig for trying on stuff for her. She used to work for a Civil War reinactment studio. She made uniforms for several movies - Glory, Gettysburg, and others.

Here is a little article about the company she worked for.

http://www.maryalicegarrett.com/Home/arts-and-crafts/grand-illusions

·
Eager Learner
164 Posts
Thankfully, my mom had a Pfaff, so I didn't go into total sticker shock when my wife started shopping for one. Actually, I probably kept her out of the cheap stuff myself. Who says I just buy stuff for myself?

She was worried about the money, so I snuck out and bought her the barely used Bernina she'd been looking at. (Previous owner had bought the machine and all the freakin attachments and then sold it...) Deal.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
my wife has 4 or 5 sewing machines, including 2 sergers. One day she was sewing up a mess of costumes and her serger kinda crashed and completely effed up the timing. She was frantic, I looked at her and said....go buy another one, you need it today and it will be a week to get this fixed, not like she doesn't use it......all 4 of my kids have at least one, including my son....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts