Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dern near spun my legs off today. I went on the 3rd ride on my new/old fixie today and went down a hill that I've gone down before many a time on my old fixie. I hit 38.6 mph and my legs [email protected] near spun off. My older bike had 27 x1 3/8 tires and 165 mm cranks. The new one is 700cx28 and 175 cm cranks. 10cm really DOES make a difference!

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
I should think it would make a difference!

Kram59 said:
The new one is 700cx28 and 175 cm cranks.
You must have some legs to spin those 175 cm cranks. Why, that's more than 5 1/2 feet in American units!

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:eek:Ok. 175 mm. Ima idjit:eek:

·
tofurkey hunting
4,734 Posts
my question is this...what dern gearing are you using and do you ever go UP that hill? maybe this is knee jerk and not well thought out, but spinning down at 38 mph seem that going up would be a b!tch....

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
42x17. My legs were spinning REALLY fast. And yes, going up IS a b*tch. However, it's kind of unavoidable where I live.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Kram59 said:
42x17. My legs were spinning REALLY fast. And yes, going up IS a b*tch. However, it's kind of unavoidable where I live.
Your gearing is about what most fixers choose for varied terrain: 66 inches. You were indeed spinning really fast, about 197 rpm if I calculated it right. I run a 75-inch gear and I think the fastest I've done is about 33 mph -- just under 150 rpm (going up is a b*tch). So yeah, you were spinning.

So how exactly DOES the 10mm make a difference? Was it noticeably harder, or weirder, to spin the longer cranks at those high speeds?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really noticed it on descents. That, by far, was the worst. It seemed that I was able to climb better. More leverage, I suspect. Both fixies that I've had were geared the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.