Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had duty yesterday so I stayed at work last night and rode home this morning. I usually ride this direction in the afternoon so I decided to take some shots with a different light. I decided that it was about time that I took a picture of my bike leaning up against something and since it was relatively clean, here you go. Check out the new Roval wheels, very cool. The shot down the path shows how messed up it still is. This section was under about a foot of water until yesterday. The puddle is only about 2-3" deep now. A shot of a cool church in Waipahu. That area is mostly Filipina so even protestant churches look catholic. The smokestake is a sugar mill that has been turned into a cultural center.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Let's see some more shots of those wheels before it starts raining! How do you like them so far? Did you re-use your hubs from the cracked rim salsa wheels or get new ones?
MN Dan

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Man that is overgrown.

Get a little bit of rain lately did ya? :D

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MN Dan said:
Let's see some more shots of those wheels before it starts raining! How do you like them so far? Did you re-use your hubs from the cracked rim salsa wheels or get new ones?
MN Dan
The roval wheels are very smooth and stiff. They completely change the ride of the bike. I also have 25mm tires front and rear with this setup since I plan on using them on my race bike later this spring to do some epic rides. The hubs on these wheels are works of art. I have never felt a hub spin so smooth. You can hold it by the axle, spin the wheel, and feel nothing at all. As far as the salsa wheels, I have requested a credit towards another rim. I want a mavic 719 this time but now I am considering a new rear hub since mine had the water issue. I replaced the bearings on one side and repacked the other, but the races are pitted on the drive side. I may hold out a while and splurge on a PW hub. The front is fine, it has about 12k on it and has no problems.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MB1 said:
Get a little bit of rain lately did ya? :D
In a couple of months we will be in the news again for brush fires. Waianae and Kapolei are dangerously green and overgrown right now.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Hi Bill,
Always enjoy your picture posts from HI. Will you be taking your bicycle with you to La Maddalena? Any idea what the riding is like there? I suppose you'll have to find a place to live first before knowing how long your commute will be there, if any at all.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wayneanneli said:
Hi Bill,
Always enjoy your picture posts from HI. Will you be taking your bicycle with you to La Maddalena? Any idea what the riding is like there? I suppose you'll have to find a place to live first before knowing how long your commute will be there, if any at all.
Cheers, Wayne
I was watching the Italian elections today. The navy has said that it will close the base in LaMadd, but has not set a date. I do know that the ship will be there until early 2008 at the minimum. The question now is whether or not they will move the family if I will only be there less than a year. The riding sounds great. LaMadd is a 20 minute ferry from Sardinia and the island has just about any kind of terrain you could ask for. Plus it is Italy, they love cyclists and show their love by driving as close as possible to them. I will wait to see which bike I take. I could take the commuter for utility, it is a do-it-all bike with sturdy wheels, fenders, etc. The race bike is a Pegoretti, so it would be at home with it's campy and all. Ideally, I would take both plus a set of wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts