Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone make their own blend of embrocation? Obviously you can purchase off the shelf versions but I was interested in other people's "mix".

I'm also thinking a hot version and a regular non-heated version for summer time.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Thread Hi Jack

I too am interested in home brew recipes but would also consider some off the shelf items. Currently use Born 2 which is a nice layer for cold wind on exposed skin and cool water in rainy conditions. Not much heat but dont feel the chill coming on either. The Born products seem to be disappearing in the few places I usually shop.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Base

Since we are not getting any suggestions here what did you have in mind for a base? Vaseline seems too thin and greasy. Bag Balm is a bit closer in consistency to the Born product I have been using. Any other suggestions or ideas for a base?

Once we find a base the next step would be how much "heat" to add. Maybe 1 part "heat" to 4 parts base? What is a cheap version of heat - Tiger Balm? Others?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use a mix of baby oil and red pepper, cayenne and peppermint. It works well but not outstanding. Needs a bit more body.

Bang for the buck on heat, nothing is better than zostrix. An OTC formulation is sold under the name Capzasin. It is f'ing HOT! I have had some tough experiences with it in prescription strength. So much so that I was up most of a night in dire agony, and nothing could cool it down. I put too much on my shoulder. When you overdo it, you won't be anxious to use it again.

A good route may be about a 5:1 mix of bag balm and capzasin. That's a guess on the ratio. Make sure you mix it well, as any "hot spots" would cause pain. This mixture will be my next try at this.

Capzasin is available in a tube from most drug stores or supermarkets for about $10. That size tube would probably last most people a year or more in a 5:1 mix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts