Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Noël said:
I rode 35 miles Boulder to Denver yesterday on my homemade chain tires. Though I ride this on daily basis, this was first time in the snow period. It was so much fun but very exhuasting. Go here for homemade chain tires http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/tirechains.htm
Do you have pictures of yours? If so post them so we can see what you've done. Congrats on the ride.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zeytin said:
Do you have pictures of yours? If so post them so we can see what you've done. Congrats on the ride.
Here are some pictures. I made mine a little different from the link above but the with the same idea. Enjoy

·
Registered
205 Posts
DIY is COOL!

Nice work!

I think stuff people build themselves is cool. Those chains look like art, to me. Thanks for the picture.

'meat

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
Nice workmanship, little hard to get those to coast though. An idea you might try is to use the wire rope for the cross overs as well. I used to have a rear whell drive sports car and I used a set of tire cable for when the weather blew in and I was at work. The wire rope crossed the tire in a "Z" configuration. The tires still won't roll really well, but better than the chain.

How much longer did the snow ride take htan normal?

Sledge

·
Registered
12 Posts
Excellent! Awesome!

Noël said:
Here are some pictures. I made mine a little different from the link above but the with the same idea. Enjoy
I too ride Boulder-Denver-Boulder on weekly basis. I don't believe I would ride in the snow though, even with chain. Good Job! What's your route?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Friction_Shifter said:
those look simple but effective. I bet they took some time to make. cheers!
Thanks everyone! It took me about 8-10 hours. The first wheel took the longest since I was engineering the whole assemble line. I believe I can do it half the time now that I got it all figured out. The hard part was triming and filing 80 crimpers. Once that was done everything else was really easy. It just the matter of running the cable through the crimper, chain and back through the crimper then crimping it in place with a plyer. All the materials were under $15 with lots of left over.

As for Colorider X, here's a brief summary of my route. South Boulder road- McCaslin- Dillon- 88th- thur Sun Micro- Tape road- Industrial- 120th- Wadsworth- 112th- Westminster blvd- Harlan- Larmar- Dry Creek trail- Platte River. Since I see so many cyclist riding this, it's safe to say it's the common route for the commuters. I wouldn't be surprise to see you passing me ;) .

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sledgehammer03 said:
Nice workmanship, little hard to get those to coast though. An idea you might try is to use the wire rope for the cross overs as well. I used to have a rear whell drive sports car and I used a set of tire cable for when the weather blew in and I was at work. The wire rope crossed the tire in a "Z" configuration. The tires still won't roll really well, but better than the chain.

How much longer did the snow ride take htan normal?

Sledge
You’re right about the coasting which probably, one of the reason, explain my exhaustions. I think my next project will be the cable cross over but not in the “z” configuration. One quick question, What size cable or wire did you use to cross over?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Noël said:
Thanks everyone! It took me about 8-10 hours. The first wheel took the longest since I was engineering the whole assemble line. I believe I can do it half the time now that I got it all figured out. The hard part was triming and filing 80 crimpers. Once that was done everything else was really easy. It just the matter of running the cable through the crimper, chain and back through the crimper then crimping it in place with a plyer. All the materials were under $15 with lots of left over.

As for Colorider X, here's a brief summary of my route. South Boulder road- McCaslin- Dillon- 88th- thur Sun Micro- Tape road- Industrial- 120th- Wadsworth- 112th- Westminster blvd- Harlan- Larmar- Dry Creek trail- Platte River. Since I see so many cyclist riding this, it's safe to say it's the common route for the commuters. I wouldn't be surprise to see you passing me ;) .
I use that route too and yes it is the common route. I was hoping you had something more challenging or should I say different. Thanks again.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
Noël said:
You’re right about the coasting which probably, one of the reason, explain my exhaustions. I think my next project will be the cable cross over but not in the “z” configuration. One quick question, What size cable or wire did you use to cross over?

Something smaller than the tie together ropes. If you use 3/16" arond, go 1/8" for the cross over. If you run too much on pavement the wire rope will start to fray and leave little man (tire) eaters at the crown.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Off topic but are those fork boots just ones taken off a newer Manitou fork? I just rebuilt my old red SX-R for a new race build I am finishing and I really like the way yours looks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The booties came w/ the forks

LetsGoOutside said:
Off topic but are those fork boots just ones taken off a newer Manitou fork? I just rebuilt my old red SX-R for a new race build I am finishing and I really like the way yours looks.
However, you can ask your LBS if they have spares laying around. They usually give them away for free.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts