Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to make my own energy gel, homemade with various simple sugars.

Would I want a variety of glycemic indexes (i.e. 20, 60, 120) or a lot of high-glycemic index ingredients (i.e. multiple 100-140)? The variety I think makes sense b/c it would be a more complete package, but the high-GCI ingredients would be good if the user (me) kept eating constantly and consistently.

·
Registered
940 Posts
So what carbs are you sourcing for the variety of GI numbers? GI seems to be waffly bollocks really, being average and all. You could do your own control study with your own meter one supposes. Mostly I tried different sugars and found fructose is nasty on my gut and maltodextrin works a treat for me. I am not racing or doing real endurance though. In reality, you are looking for easily available carbs if you are using your product as a real replacement for food on long rides where you either cannot or will not eat. Which one you like the best is probably personal and budget driven. Sucrose is fructose and glucose, cheap cheerful and in your pantry.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Just the other day I was looking in to trying this since I just bought 3 lbs of maltodextrin. I was just planning on adding it to my energy drink mix but since I was low on gel I thought I'd look it up. There's a bunch of different recipes out there. Here's a good link for some recipes. I want to try the apple cinnamon recipe. I was also thinking of doing a chocolate coffee gel for some caffeine boost by adding 1 cup of strong coffee to 2 cups malt and maybe 1/2 cup of cocoa powder as the base. Honey might be good to add to both recipes escpecially the apple cinnamon. I have the time so what the heck, do a little kitchen experiment. :)

Homemade Energy Gels<O:p></O:p>

·
Registered
940 Posts
Caffeine powder is cheap and cheerful, much more palatable than adding coffee to malto IMO. I think the beauty of making your own brew is that you don't have nasty gel texture. You can make a hammer flask with 400 cals of malto plus whatever electrolytes etc)with a little patience. Malto does not want to initially break up but if you ignore it for a while it dissolves. I would not be adding pectin and some of those recipes have real preservation challenges in the volume made, and the author obviously has no idea about preservation. I make up what I need for the following day and no more. You have sugar water which is not self preserving. Retail products are preserved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.