Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, while waiting at traffic light on my road bike and wearing black bibs and a bright blue Campy jersey I overheard a comment coming from two average (read typically overweight) young men sitting in a modest late model sedan to the effect of, "Look at that gay sh!t".

Later, I'm thinking they could never descend the twisty 10 percent grade that I did twenty miles ago and if they could it would be so thrilling to their little minds that it would make Magic Mountain seem like a child's park (which it is!) and so far their day's biggest adventure was probably the drive thru at Burger King where they most likely devoured the double cheeseburger and large fries so that now they can be off to to rent a video and eat some more crap.

Life's too short to be fat and stupid.

And, I'm better for not saying anything back to these turds.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
Last time I had to fix a flat, someone in a minivan yelled "FA***T" at me while driving by. I have no idea how that's supposed to make them feel better.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Breakfast said:
Today, while waiting at traffic light on my road bike and wearing black bibs and a bright blue Campy jersey I overheard a comment coming from two average (read typically overweight) young men sitting in a modest late model sedan to the effect of, "Look at that gay sh!t".

Later, I'm thinking they could never descend the twisty 10 percent grade that I did twenty miles ago and if they could it would be so thrilling to their little minds that it would make Magic Mountain seem like a child's park (which it is!) and so far their day's biggest adventure was probably the drive thru at Burger King where they most likely devoured the double cheeseburger and large fries so that now they can be off to to rent a video and eat some more crap.

Life's too short to be fat and stupid.

And, I'm better for not saying anything back to these turds.

haha. +1. Take comfort in the fact that they will probably die earlier than you. And calling the fit people gay isn't doing anything to change that.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Turds indeed. I have heard similar comments as well.

Gay...:lol: My wife was attracted to me because I was in cycling garb when she first saw me. She reminds me now-then when I'm about to head out on a ride. :)

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
I usually turn around and yell, “HEY **** YOU!!!! YOU WANNA GET YOUR FAT LITTLE ********ER ASS OVER HERE AND SAY THAT **** TO MY ****ING FACE?!?!?” They STFU at that point. My wife is convinced that some day I’m going to get shot. After that I feel all warm and fuzzy and think about those fabulous pink hoods they make for SRAM shifters.

Or not.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I wrote this a few months back on this forum, but it is worth repeating. I heard an interview with a sociologist that designed a clever experiment to look into the idea of homophobia. The basic idea- he hired a couple hundred college students, and after interviews put them into three categories; homophobic, neutral and relaxed (I don't remember the terms he used).

Once into the categories he put a probe on their members and had them watch movies with gay content. Something like "Brokeback Mountain", but I can't remember exactly what he had them watch. Anyway, big surprise, the most homophobic guys in the study group where the ones that were most aroused by the movies. Apparently the results were statistically significant, although social science can be difficult, it did seem like a clever way to get at the question.

So there it is, if you are confident enough to wear what ever you feel like wearing, and they are worried about looking gay; they are probably more attracted to men than you are. I seem to remember a few boys, back when I was in school, that were trying just a little too hard to prove how tough they were. Hmmm, I wonder if they are on Broadway now :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ha, this brings back a memory. I too was stopped at a light when a couple fat, triple chinned guys look over at me and called me a tight short wearing fa*****t. I didn't respond to their comment but just looked up the road. We both accelerate from the stoplight, them at a faster pace than I but there were many stoplights up ahead along with fast food restaurant row. I see them pull into the local greaseburger place and exit their car.

I pulled in there and asked them why they would say such a thing. Of course they both himhawed around not saying anything. I changed the subject on them and asked if they watched/liked football, The NFL?? They both said yes, I asked them what their favorite teams were, they both responded, "The Raiders" Go figure!! I then asked them what the heck the difference was between my bike shorts and the 3/4 tights that the players wear in the NFL. At least I am not trying to cram 370 lbs into a pair of tights like those players do. I also asked them, why football players each tap each other on the butt after some plays, again no response.

I said goodbye to those two and went about my way, I am sure I was the topic of discussion while they chowed on their triple cheeseburgers but now they had something to think about come football season.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've been cycling 13 years and I didn't and wouldn't wear lycra for 2 years because I was worried about looking "gay" lol. But after about my fifth saddle sore. One that I had to get cut out because it got infected. I decided comfort is more important than my **** phobia. I have never gotten a gay comment. I've gotten lots of woo hoos from females though :) Lycra rocks. I think its weird that a **** phobe would be checking out what a person of the same sex is wearing. If somebody is going to say something like that because of your wearing bicycle cloths.(and your riding a bicycle). Your dealing with a sick person. There probably dog screwers. or sheep lovers. Or in the closet.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
It happens every once in a while to me. Even in the middle of Los Angeles...though I must admit that the folks doing the yelling have invariably had non-LA accents. It doesn't matter, though. I just don't care.

·
il miglior fabbro
273 Posts
At work, the bike racks are right outside the door to the parking lot, near where the smokers have been booted to indulge their habit. I sometimes get smirking looks from some of the folks - the "real men" (and women) - when they see how "cute" I look in tights and cycling jersey. I have to admit it's made me a bit self-conscious and I've been moved to stop wearing team colours and just a straight green or blue jersey now. Some of the smokers seem genuinely interested in how far I ride and what the commute is like but occasionally, someone will shoot a faux leering grin and might say something about how I look. One time I shot back: "That's okay, you have another cigarette, I hear they're good for you." And then rode off into the sunset. I think he got the point.
On the road, if someone says something to me, I don't usually say anything back but will make serious eye contact with him. They usually get the point, too.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
If you talk to young kids...the term GAY has multiple meanings.....now...

I'm with 1/2n1/2 on this on.....NFL players in spandex slapping each other on the butt...the SHOWERING together......... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
622 Posts
It continues to amaze me

how people can somehow associate cycling attire with being weak or wimpy, or that sexual orientation or gender somehow demonstrate strength or toughness. I have said it once and I'll say it again: cyclists, no matter what their sexual orientation or gender, are pound for pound some of the toughest athletes I have ever met. This example simply demonstrates again the ignorance of the American public in general. Show how tough you really are...smile, wave, and don't let them get to you.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I don't think making a gay crack means you're a homophobe. Their are posts in here cracking on people being overweight...does that make you a fatphobe?

Decked out in cycling gear looks kinda "gay" just like being fat looks like you are lazy. Doesn't make it true though.

·
likes to eat donuts
893 Posts
Psych 101

Those darnded homophobes, huh? It's not really their fault. They're just trying their hardest to completely avoid acknowledging their deep seated sexual urges for those of the same gender. The more homophobic they are, the stronger their desire to cross over to the 'dark side' :lol: "Not that there's anything wrong with that", as Jerry Seinfeld would say.

At least it's not as bad as the guy who pulled up beside me a couple of weeks ago at a red light and said "You know, I could just run you over right now". After I replied "Yes, you could", he said "And if I didn't get you the first time, I'd just back up and try it again"

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.