Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a swarm of honeybees at our hummingbird feeder this afternoon so of course I had to get out there with the camera. I didn't have a macro so I was shooting with my 16-45 zoom which focuses pretty close. I was basically inside a swarm of probably 75-100 bees at some points. I was holding the flash in one hand, firing the camera with the other and trying to avoid getting a bee caught between my face and the viewfinder. It took a while to get the feel but I got some neat shots of bees in flight. I'm a bit surprised that I didn't get stung at least once.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
What is that in the first photo -- doesn't look like the other bees.

Very cool pix!

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, it was some kind of small wasp. It had great colors and markings.

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Nice photos! Those darn things like to get inside the hummingbird feeder and clog up the little outlets when the feeder starts to run dry, darn things.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ray_from_SA said:
One of these things.....it is not like the other.

What kind of wasp is that?
I think it is a paper wasp.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
cool pics.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Amazing! Especially that second one, how crisp the bee is with the black background.

You've got more guts than I do ... I don't like bees.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the willies a couple of times when they were crawling on the camera and lens while I was shooting. I'd say I was 4-5 inches from the bees in the closest shots. But I never felt like they were even the least bit agitated. The Missus put it best, "They were on too much of a sugar high to even notice". I'm hoping to try for a few more tomorrow when I can use what I've learned a little better. I missed a few shots because of having the flash setup wrong.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
good stuff. the bees are looking for anything sweet at this point in the season. put out a jar for them.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
asciibaron said:
good stuff. the bees are looking for anything sweet at this point in the season. put out a jar for them.
Won't they drown?

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
At some point I'd like to have a hive or two. Here's a bee I found perusing my aunt's garden a couple years ago.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
snapdragen said:
Won't they drown?
not if you do it right - poke some very tiny holes in the lid and turn the jar upside down - put the jar on some pieces of wood to elevate it. tada.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts