Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Is that how you would expect a frame to react to that sort of an impact?

Honey I killed the bike....

3K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  omniviper 
#1 · (Edited)
While racing I got rode into a low granite wall at close to 25mph

I'm told this sort of thing is rare (1st full season racing), I hope so

While I feel pretty lucky to have gone over the wall and rolled over a gravel driveway without much more than cuts and bruises all over however I'm gutted about the bike that was less that a month old.

:mad2:

#6 ·
Asside from a slightly steeper head angle, what's the problem - looks totally ridable! :rolleyes:

Sorry about your crash and hope you heal quick. The bike pics (both C-dale and Lemond) really pain me. I've crashed in a race (once - 1992ish), but it was on a track and I just got lots of abrasions. The bike (Daccordi pursuit bike) was fine.

Definitely work with the local shop and perhaps get a sweet deal that way - otherwise the internet has been good to me. I just tore down my pre-USA built Lemond and built up a Six13 with newer DA components! Love the new ride.

#11 ·
YakuzaSmurf said:
I'm really surprised your front wheel looks as good as it does though. Is it still true? Also, have you checked your fork yet? My guess is the steerer tube is cracked as well.
Fine wheels those ES. It appears to be rideable but I am advised to replace it on safety grounds. The fork well I haven't looked to closely but I'm working on the asumption that if it failed while riding 'normally' the warranty won't hold true, due to this impact and therefore it has to be 'written off'

Thanks for everyone's sympathy, Its on with CAAD 7 at present.

#18 ·
Pains me to look at that

Sorry about your ride. Good that it was only the bike, though. Having been in one crash where my bike was wrecked but I was ok, and another crash where my bike was fine but I spent 48 hours in the hospital, I can say that the former is much better.

#19 ·
Adeel - 2mm !

say 1mm or less, these are nice lightweight frames y'know and you can see thats how they should be from cuttaways at your dealership, how else would it crumple like it did near the seat post

s2ktaxi - tried em all, mine, his and the clubs' they've all said a big NO. I now have racing insurance, as the house contents covers everything else to the bike, but racing.

Meatball, Niwort - that's pretty much what Cannondale said, you're lucky to be alive and we'll sell you another frame at 'base' cost, which is lovely but I don't know where I'm going to find that £600

how much can you get a six13 Pro frame for Stateside these days?

:idea: Hey check the date this thread started

#20 ·
Quick!!!!

Get me some dental floss, pine cones, mascara (preferably Atomic Orange) and a ham sandwich!:D

#21 ·
Glad to see that it was the bike broken in half and not you. In a race I participated in, a guy ended up being paralyzed from the waist down during a crash. That was horrible.

I used to race a lot 20 years ago and I had my fair share of wrecks. About 6 in all, and 3 of them were pretty good. However, I was riding a steel frame and it pretty much came out of all of them unscathed except for some pain wear. Ended up bending the downtube shifter one time so bad that it was touching the frame and it left an impression in the paint where it had impacted. The rims were a little bent once or twice, but nothing the mechanic and a hammer couldn't fix. I am still riding the bike today, even though I am looking for an upgrade. Of course, nowadays I wouldn't recommend using a hammer on anything to get it back in shape. I guess that is the good thing about steel frames, they can take a lickin and they keep on tickin,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.