Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Honey moon is over PBK...

4K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  RC28 
#1 ·
Looks like those days of ordering from PBK and having your goods with-in 3 to 5 days are over. In the pass when-ever I placed an order with PBK for small items ( tyres, tubes, saddles and what not) they'd be here on the west coast in less then a week.

I've gottin items from PBK in 3 days from the day I got the email that my order has been shipped out. I ordered a pair of GP 4000 Condies a little over a week ago and they'er still not here.

I will still order from PBK becuase they have some of the best prices on the webs and free shipping and no tax. But, if I need something sooner then later, I pay the extra moneys at the LBS and be done with it.

Peace :cool:

#3 ·
FatTireFred said:
they honeymoon was over for me when they had that issue w/ cc numbers...
Could you please elaborate a bit on the CC part's time frame? Thanks, I guess I must of miss that issue here on RBR.

#5 ·
Never ordered from them. Never will. I strongly believe in taking my business to local bike shops even if it does cost a bit more. I'll gladly pay a bit extra to keep them around. Being a regular customer and getting to know the staff and owner gets you hook-ups that online stores will never come close to. On longer rides, I always plan a short stop at my favorite shop to stop in and say hi, fill up my bottles, and shoot the breeze for a couple minutes before I head out. Being loyal to my LBS has gotten my free GU, tubes, water bottles, race entry, sponsorship, discounts, free labor/tuneups, free parts (small things that people usually end up having to pay for), introduction to/rides with pros, connections to Lawyers and Doctors, the list goes on.

I understand that some people are a bit more frugal than others, and there's nothing wrong with that, but also think of the impact ordering overseas has on our environment, and also the impact it has on their business. Maybe, if people stopped ordering stuff online and buying from their LBS, they could afford to lower the prices enough to be competitive.

#6 ·
oroy38 said:
Never ordered from them. Never will. I strongly believe in taking my business to local bike shops even if it does cost a bit more. I'll gladly pay a bit extra to keep them around. Being a regular customer and getting to know the staff and owner gets you hook-ups that online stores will never come close to. On longer rides, I always plan a short stop at my favorite shop to stop in and say hi, fill up my bottles, and shoot the breeze for a couple minutes before I head out. Being loyal to my LBS has gotten my free GU, tubes, water bottles, race entry, sponsorship, discounts, free labor/tuneups, free parts (small things that people usually end up having to pay for), introduction to/rides with pros, connections to Lawyers and Doctors, the list goes on.

I understand that some people are a bit more frugal than others, and there's nothing wrong with that, but also think of the impact ordering overseas has on our environment, and also the impact it has on their business. Maybe, if people stopped ordering stuff online and buying from their LBS, they could afford to lower the prices enough to be competitive.
Good for you, keep up the good work. I commend you on your loyalties to your favorite LBS. Now if we can please get back to the issue of the original post thank you.

Peace be on to you :cool:

#7 ·
Elfstone said:
Looks like those days of ordering from PBK and having your goods with-in 3 to 5 days are over. In the pass when-ever I placed an order with PBK for small items ( tyres, tubes, saddles and what not) they'd be here on the west coast in less then a week.

I've gottin items from PBK in 3 days from the day I got the email that my order has been shipped out. I ordered a pair of GP 4000 Condies a little over a week ago and they'er still not here.

I will still order from PBK becuase they have some of the best prices on the webs and free shipping and no tax. But, if I need something sooner then later, I pay the extra moneys at the LBS and be done with it.

I guess you were very lucky in the past. From what I've experienced, items from PBK show up at my door between 6-10 days after I order them. Considering the prices that one can get on stuff when buying from them, it has NEVER bothered me one bit.

Now, the credit card issue, yeah, I got bit by that one too. You can do a search here and on other forums as this issue was discussed here last year A LOT. Same issue happened with a lot of the UK vendors and I believe it was traced back to a security breach at the credit card processor and not the individual retailers. The issue has apparently been fixed for a while now, though.

#9 ·
oroy38 said:
Never ordered from them. Never will. I strongly believe in taking my business to local bike shops even if it does cost a bit more. I'll gladly pay a bit extra to keep them around. Being a regular customer and getting to know the staff and owner gets you hook-ups that online stores will never come close to. .
Not to start a LBS vs online debate here (there's plenty of those around) but let me just give you my latest example. Shimano PD-5610 (105 SPD-SL) pedals. Lowest local price I could get around here $120. Lowest US based online retailer I could find: $89 on sale. Ended up buying them at Chain Reaction for $46!!!!!! So , in some cases the differences is not that tiny. Regularly, I'd venture to say , based on previous purchases, the price difference on most items can hover between 25-40% . But in this case, for example, mine was 62% lower than the LBS and 49% lower than online in the US. I'm sorry, but that is too much of a difference to choose local. Especially when the delivery on these took 8 days.

#11 ·
RC28 said:
I guess you were very lucky in the past. From what I've experienced, items from PBK show up at my door between 6-10 days after I order them. Considering the prices that one can get on stuff when buying from them, it has NEVER bothered me one bit.

Now, the credit card issue, yeah, I got bit by that one too. You can do a search here and on other forums as this issue was discussed here last year A LOT. Same issue happened with a lot of the UK vendors and I believe it was traced back to a security breach at the credit card processor and not the individual retailers. The issue has apparently been fixed for a while now, though.
Thank you so very much for chiming in with that bit of information RC, much obliged. I don't mind the wait either most of the time, but I got a cut on my rear GP4000 and need to replace it before I can ride. If I had known it would take 6~10 days, Id have made the purchase at my LBS. I was hoping to get them by last Friday for this weekend group rides.

#12 · (Edited)
ldh6 said:
Ditto. My last order for 2 tires & 1 pr bibs shipped on June 6 and arrived in my PA mailbox on June 17. IMO, still not bad for an over-seas order.
Dang, live and learn. I'll have to start planning around that time frame when I order from them from now on. I haven't ordered from PBK since sometime time last year. But it was cool seeing your items arrive at your front door faster then when you order from the webs here in the USA. Even from Southern California and I in central Cali.

#14 ·
oroy38 said:

Pay a bit extra? I'm with you on that one. Tubes, patch kits, socks, gloves, etc. Sure. I'll pay a bit extra to get them locally.

GP4000S tires were $64 EACH at my LBS. $128 + 9% tax for me to buy a pair. My delivered price from PBK including free shipping and a $2.23 conversion charge from my credit card company made the total $62. Total. Delivered.

$62 versus $139 for the EXACT same product? That's a bit more than a bit extra.

#15 ·
Elfstone said:
Dang, live and learn. I'll have to start planning around that time frame when I order from them from now on. I'm haven't ordered from PBK since sometime time last year. But it was cool seeing your items arrive at your front door faster then when you order from the webs here in the USA. Even from Southern California and I in central Cali.

I took advantage of the free armwarmer deal a few weeks ago, and ordered a Michelin tube from PBK. Got them in 6 days including the weekend. I wasn't in a rush for it obviously, but it was nice to see them show up so soon. I'm in Roseville, so we should have the same ship times.

#16 ·
Accordion said:
Pay a bit extra? I'm with you on that one. Tubes, patch kits, socks, gloves, etc. Sure. I'll pay a bit extra to get them locally.

GP4000S tires were $64 EACH at my LBS. $128 + 9% tax for me to buy a pair. My delivered price from PBK including free shipping and a $2.23 conversion charge from my credit card company made the total $62. Total. Delivered.

Exactly, that's why I ordered a pair of Condies from PBK instead of my LBS. 65x2=130+9.25% tax. I got the pair for $80.00, didn't save as much as you did, but still over $50.00 difference, that's almost another tyre. And on top of good prices, I ride 25mm red GP4000s and my LBS never has them, so I they have to order them too.

#17 ·
bubbad3 said:
I took advantage of the free armwarmer deal a few weeks ago, and ordered a Michelin tube from PBK. Got them in 6 days including the weekend. I wasn't in a rush for it obviously, but it was nice to see them show up so soon. I'm in Roseville, so we should have the same ship times.
That's what I'm talking about bubbad dude! I'm in Folsom and that's more like the time frame I could live with. I'll just have to wait and see if I get them maybe tomorrow or no later then Tuesday.

It's been great riding weather out our way this year, when it's not raining lolz. It's just now starting to get too hot to ride during the middle of the day out here. Be in the 100s today, got to start early in the morning.

#20 ·
Elfstone said:
That's what I'm talking about bubbad dude! I'm in Folsom and that's more like the time frame I could live with. I'll just have to wait and see if I get them maybe tomorrow or no later then Tuesday.

It's been great riding weather out our way this year, when it's not raining lolz. It's just now starting to get too hot to ride during the middle of the day out here. Be in the 100s today, got to start early in the morning.

Yeah, I went out around noon yesterday and the heat was nasty. Thank goodness for having a pool afterwards. Today was 2 1/2 hours up to Lincoln and back, and it felt like rubber in my legs.

#21 ·
As much as I'd love to exclusively support my LBS (great people!) I just can't afford to do it when I can buy online for far less. I probably have 40% less into my bikes doing this. I still buy bikes for our little one there and some accessories. As to PBK I ordered a pair of Conti's from them and it took about 10 days for them to arrive in the US. I also always keep a couple spare new ones on hand... just in case. Same thing with tubes, bar tape, and other items that can't be sourced immediately and are consumables.

#22 ·
Accordion said:

The one time I ordered from PBK I was surprised by this fee. Just helping point out that it exists.

As far as SoCal shops not charging so much, LMAO! Conti 4000 tires are just as expensive there. I looked throughout the SoCal area when I was there last year. ALL the shops charged the same prices for the tires.

The price difference on those tires (Europe vs USA) is just too great to not think there is something going on. May be our gov charging an import duty, Germany charging an export, or just the way the moons of Pluto line up to force a higher cost. I don't get it.

#24 ·
Elfstone said:
Thank you so very much for chiming in with that bit of information RC, much obliged. I don't mind the wait either most of the time, but I got a cut on my rear GP4000 and need to replace it before I can ride. If I had known it would take 6~10 days, Id have made the purchase at my LBS. I was hoping to get them by last Friday for this weekend group rides.

I too buy my tires online.

I ALWAYS buy tires in 3's.

Having a spare or two kicking around is a good thing.

#25 ·
DesnaePhoto said:
The one time I ordered from PBK I was surprised by this fee. Just helping point out that it exists.

As far as SoCal shops not charging so much, LMAO! Conti 4000 tires are just as expensive there. I looked throughout the SoCal area when I was there last year. ALL the shops charged the same prices for the tires.

The price difference on those tires (Europe vs USA) is just too great to not think there is something going on. May be our gov charging an import duty, Germany charging an export, or just the way the moons of Pluto line up to force a higher cost. I don't get it.
I guess I've been very lucky, I've never been charged any kind fee. I've always just pay what ever it is and no tax, no vat and free shipping.

#26 ·
louise said:
I too buy my tires online.

I ALWAYS buy tires in 3's.

Having a spare or two kicking around is a good thing.
Yeah, that's what I did this time around, needed only one tyre but ordered two just in case I have another mishap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.