Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my K-x for 9 months and I've never played with the video. Just never had any interest in video. I got to thinking that it might be neat to get some shots of the bees at the feeder. When the local hummingbird started fighting the bees I decided to give it a try. She is NOT happy with the bees. I might have to do this some more.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Very awesome! wish my camera took video of the birds and bees...

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
gutfiddle said:
Very awesome! wish my camera took video of the birds and bees...
You have your videocam and facebook for that where you get banned though right? :wink:

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I <3 the lounge...

It was definitely a code heavy poast....

Not a video type person and probably never will be since we don't have kids. But I like the DOF control you get compared to a normal P&S or Video camera.

·
Registered
658 Posts
This is cool... Any way to play around with it and get some Slo-Mo shots when she attacks the bees? It almost looks like she is grabbing them and pulling them out, I didn't think Hummers could open their mouths, I thought they just stick their tongue out and lick...

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mccurdy21 said:
This is cool... Any way to play around with it and get some Slo-Mo shots when she attacks the bees? It almost looks like she is grabbing them and pulling them out, I didn't think Hummers could open their mouths, I thought they just stick their tongue out and lick...
Can't do slomo with the camera. Hummers can definitely open their mouths and pretty wide at that. We were watching her sitting on top of our dogwood catching gnats last night. They get a lot of their nourishment from small insects as well. But I'm sure they don't hunt bees.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally got some decent stills today so I figured I'd just add on to this thread instead of starting another boring bird photo thread. All of these with the kit telephoto and manual focus. ALSO check out the video at 1:03, the little lady grabs a bee and throws it over her shoulder!

·
Canon Fodder
686 Posts
I'm sure I have posted these at some time or another, but these are the best hummer shots I have got so far.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You've topped me there... Great shots!!

·
Canon Fodder
686 Posts
VaughnA said:
You've topped me there... Great shots!!
I didn't mean to do " mine are better" You just reminded me and made me look back.

I'm sure if you had what I was using you could prolly top my shots also.

Unless I really got serious and spent stupid time out there:p

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WI B16 said:
I didn't mean to do " mine are better" You just reminded me and made me look back.

I'm sure if you had what I was using you could prolly top my shots also.

Unless I really got serious and spent stupid time out there:p
Not a competition but you just blow me away with your bird shots. The backgrounds are perfect and no noise. I do think I'd do a bit better with a bit longer lens. But I need a deeper pockets. Birds aren't my priority but I do enjoy shooting them.

On a related note we went to the Hawkwatch at Afton mountain last weekend. We missed the peak of migration by one day. We saw about 400 broadwing and sharpshinned hawks along with some peregrines and a couple of ospreys on migration. The day before the total was over 6000 hawks. We need better binoculars and I need a bigger lens. They are usually waayyyy up there so it isn't a great photo op but it is spectaular even with 'only' 400 hawks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts