1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two requirements for a computer:
1. Wireless
2. Either indestructible or disposable.

I've yet to come across an indestructible one, so I usually go with disposable.

For 4 years I've had an Ascent (Performance Bike House Brand) computer. Works great. Great display. Sturdy. Reliable. Only problem is that the red-light sensors give it false readings of 75 mph when I cross over them.

Well, like most good things in this world, it's starting to die. One of the buttons sticks and takes a lot of coaxing to work properly. I was going to replace it with the new model, which at $20 is kind of a steal. But then I saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bike-Computer-B...737?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adb506539

Normally, I would beware of a $6 Hong Kong computer, but it looks exactly like my Ascent.

Any thoughts? It is worth the $6, or should I spring for the $20 new model?

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
is the $14 difference between the unit you intended to buy (and you referred to as "a steal") and the Hong Kong unit of unknown quality actually worth worrying about?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Check Wal-Mart. The one down the street here has a wireless bike computer, but I can't remember the price. Seems like it was around $20.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I buy a lot of cheap ebay electronics from Hong Kong. And have never had a problem. Think about it. Your current computer wasn't made in New Jersey. It was made somewhere in Southeast Asia. Shipping will take three weeks or so. But you have saved money.

TT

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
the value of your time to post this thread was probably more than the value of the price difference between the two items you are looking at

just buy the cheap one from hong kong and see how you go, its not like you are going to lose your house over it

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I got the cheap one from HK. It took a while to get it. It's junk. Everything about it is cheaply made. Don't buy it. It worked for about 20 min, then intermittantly, then not at all, then intermittently, then not at all. Then not at all.

Also, it has a "ball switch" inside, so the think rattles like a set of loose teeth during the entire ride.

The vendor offered me $4 back after I complained. I sent a reply asking for $5. I figure, at least I got a set of batteries out of it.

I ordered a $30 VDO from Performance. I used coupon code 725 and I got 13% off. We'll see if it's any better.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
The VDO is a very good computer. Setup can be a little confusing, as the instructions are not clear and simple. But overall, they work very well. Not my favorite, as I prefer Cateye computers.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm rocking a $5 Sunding computer from dealextreme. They have a GPS that allows you to do route planning and stuff for $123 I've been thinking about trying as well, and I don't even need a GPS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts