Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, maybe not today but this month in general it's 20 years that our personal computers became victims of the computer virus. This calls for a celebration! Let's all open cheap bottles of wine and shut off our anti-virus software, hurl ourselves back in time and remember the times that the PC was little more than a typewriter with a TV on top. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4630910.stm

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
rogger said:
Well, maybe not today but this month in general it's 20 years that our personal computers became victims of the computer virus. This calls for a celebration! Let's all open cheap bottles of wine and shut off our anti-virus software, hurl ourselves back in time and remember the times that the PC was little more than a typewriter with a TV on top. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4630910.stm
It's time to invest in a MAC ;) .
Cheers, Wayne (happy owner of a virus-free Powermac G5)

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wayneanneli said:
That's a serious investment. Firefox and Avast! seem to keep my cheap-a$$ PC virus free for free! ;) [NNCmode]Do you have Campy on your bike?[/NNCmode]

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
wayneanneli said:
Since OSX is based on Darwin, if there aren't viruses yet, it's a matter of time.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
rogger said:
That's a serious investment. Firefox and Avast! seem to keep my cheap-a$$ PC virus free for free! ;) [NNCmode]Do you have Campy on your bike?[/NNCmode]
The pricing has always earned Apple Mac a bad rep in the past, but no more. Their computers are pretty reasonably priced these days, and are not prone at all to all the PC viruses out there, floating around. It might sound like propoganada, but check out their website about changing over, or even the Mac Owners Support Group forum site. As for the Campy part, yes, my bicycle is Campy...and proud of it :D.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
FTF said:
Since OSX is based on Darwin, if there aren't viruses yet, it's a matter of time.
Oh man, I hope not too soon :eek:

·
Registered
438 Posts
FTF said:
Actually OSX has been around for years and nobody has succeeded in doing it yet. When you buy OSX it comes with free development tools (XCode) so the rarity of compilers, etc. is not why. I'm sure if this happens somebody will be happy but in the mean time pardon us if we gloat over the +/- 100,000 known pieces of malicious code discovered so far for Windows. Even if the score becomes 100,000/1 we will be way ahead. BTW I recently read an article that said that there are already a bunch of viruses for Windows Vista even though it's not out yet and that it may be less secure than XP because it will be vulnerable to shell scripts. The same source said that 85% of all Windows machines are infected with something.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wayneanneli said:
As for the Campy part, yes, my bicycle is Campy...and proud of it :D.
Go figure. ;)

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Tlaloc said:
Actually OSX has been around for years and nobody has succeeded in doing it yet. When you buy OSX it comes with free development tools (XCode) so the rarity of compilers, etc. is not why. I'm sure if this happens somebody will be happy but in the mean time pardon us if we gloat over the +/- 100,000 known pieces of malicious code discovered so far for Windows. Even if the score becomes 100,000/1 we will be way ahead. BTW I recently read an article that said that there are already a bunch of viruses for Windows Vista even though it's not out yet and that it may be less secure than XP because it will be vulnerable to shell scripts. The same source said that 85% of all Windows machines are infected with something.
So, I gather you use a Mac? Which one?

·
Registered
777 Posts
FTF said:
As there has never been a confirmed report of a UNIX virus in the wild, and given that UNIX computers have been extensively networked longer than any other OS in current use, I'd say that it's a matter of a LONG time.

--Shannon

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
wayneanneli said:
Funny thing Wayne. My very first virus was on a MAC, circa 1987. wdef-a?. Back when Macs were prolific, they WERE the prime target for viruses.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Not in OSX

thinkcooper said:
Funny thing Wayne. My very first virus was on a MAC, circa 1987. wdef-a?. Back when Macs were prolific, they WERE the prime target for viruses.
During the 15 years or so when OSes through 9 were in use there were 20 or 30 Mac viruses, none of which were very destructive, and 10 or 15 cross platform viruses that took advantage of vulnerabilities in Microsoft application software (Word macro virus for example).

OSX is a completely different OS and there are none.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts