Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have an old Medici steel road bike with horizontal drops and I recently got a new wheel set. I was running an old pair of Dura Ace hubs on it before with never a slipping moment. However, within the first five rides with the new wheel set, some old take offs from my LBS, my rear wheel was slipping like crazy.

A friend of mine and a lover of the older bikes said that because my new hub set was aluminum, they don't grab onto steel like some good cro-mo ones (I guess like my old Dura Ace ones) do.

SO--I have an old Ultegra hub, but no skewer. I really want to get back on the Medici but need to know what skewer I should buy. If i get another Shimano, will that do the trick? Whatdya think?

thanks.

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,885 Posts
rootfreak said:
I'm not sure which brand would be the best, but any skewer with a steel nut and qr should work no problem.

Check it out . . . https://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html
Yup. I run old school Campy Record skewers on a fixed gear conversion with horizontal dropouts without problems.

Shimano used to use similar skewers.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
wooglin said:
Yup. I run old school Campy Record skewers on a fixed gear conversion with horizontal dropouts without problems.

Shimano used to use similar skewers.

lol... that's new skool, not old skool

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.