Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
World's 1st Anal-rapist
1,124 Posts
He's pissed and had alot of crap come his way this year. Shot off his mouth one too many times....

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
he was injured at the time of the selection. however if he was more likable, he may have gotten the nod even with the injury. its no different in the corporate world: you can be a star performer, but if you are not well liked, you will not win in many cases

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
I have ridden and talked with Chris a few times over the years. He is one of the coolest, funniest and insightful guys you would meet in the bike game. There are few who do not like him. He seldom spins his views and that can come across as caustic to those used to the smoother media characters.

I can see both sides of the coin, I am sure the selectors had a hard time making a decision because each riders form was not clear....but I would have given Chris the benefit of the doubt that by August he would have been in great shape.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
bauerb said:
he was injured at the time of the selection. however if he was more likable, he may have gotten the nod even with the injury. its no different in the corporate world: you can be a star performer, but if you are not well liked, you will not win in many cases
It's not like his results in 2008 are great in any way though.

·
Registered
337 Posts
About 1 year ago, McCartney soloed out of an 11-man break on a hilly parcours (not unlike the Beijing course) to win a stage of the Vuelta. I think his bonafides are established.

I understand Horner's complaints, but to rip on McCartney is a little excessive, I think.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
Of all the guys on the US team, McCartney is the one I would least expect to be deemed team leader. So what's the big deal if Horner is worried about him being there at the end? McCartney's job will be to protect and serve riders for the early part of the race. He doesn't need to be there at the end. Someone has to be the water carrier. If not McCartney, then who?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Well, he is obviously bitter, but I think he's justified. As he points out, it's not the top 10, it's the top five. He definitely top five caliber. It's definitely the last chance he would have had to make the Olympic team.

I think it's unfortunate that VeloNews chose to slant the article the way they did. As has been pointed out, Chris is a very gregarious guy and seems to be very clear thinking about things. He is definitely not elitist, nor does he ever appear to feel entitled to glory. He works hard to be good and is a team player. He's normally very open with VeloNews. I wonder if that might change after the way this article reads.

JR

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
He's grumpy about losing out to McCartney two olympics in a row. Horner didn't make the olympic selection in '04 - he had dominated the domestic scene for a couple years leading up to that and McCartney (who was a domestic rider with only one significant result at the time) was selected on the basis of a win in the Olympic trial road race (which was a dumb way to select a single rider.) It's not like Horner is going to have the opportunity to ride in 2012 - the automatic selections were made based on performances last year for Hincapie, Leipheimer and Zabriskie - Horner had the results last year to make you think he deserved a selection.

This is just Horner being Horner - if this surprises you, you haven't been paying attention. He's had a chip on his shoulder for years and he doesn't filter his thoughts when talking to reporters.

·
Registered
337 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Of all the guys on the US team, McCartney is the one I would least expect to be deemed team leader. So what's the big deal if Horner is worried about him being there at the end? McCartney's job will be to protect and serve riders for the early part of the race. He doesn't need to be there at the end. Someone has to be the water carrier. If not McCartney, then who?

This is a good point. Who is the team leader then? Hincapie seems to be the best in 1-day classics, Leipheimer has shown good form on the hills in the past, and VandeVelde has shown he can hang very recently, but both seem to lack the snap to stay with a Valverde/Bettini/Rebellin in the uphill finishing sprint. Who would you be riding for?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gray8110 said:
He's grumpy....
right, but there are better ways to communicate your desire to have been part of an olympic roster than by calling out a specific rider who you think you should replace. that was a dick move. He could have just said he thought he deserved a spot and left the reader to figure out who he'd replace. besides, when did pros start <i>really</i> giving a **** about the olympics? dig around there's a quote from landis effectively calling it a waste of his time so I'd think Horner would have bigger fish to fry.

·
¿Por Que?
383 Posts
I was surprised to see that Horner wasn't chosen. I can understand his disappointment, but to mouth off like this is pretty bad form.

At the end of the day though, it's all a moot point, innit? Dude's sitting at home with a broken collarbone. Given that, it's for the best that he wasn't on the team.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cogswell23 said:
I was surprised to see that Horner wasn't chosen. I can understand his disappointment, but to mouth off like this is pretty bad form.

At the end of the day though, it's all a moot point, innit? Dude's sitting at home with a broken collarbone. Given that, it's for the best that he wasn't on the team.

I think he's suggesting that had he been selected he would have skipped elk grove, thus sparing his collarbone or something.

·
Banned
608 Posts
Horner has a legitimate beef. He has never been chosen. Explain that. The selection process is corrupt. It has been for a very long time.

Horner is better at tactics than any other american racing at that level. Hincapie, on the other hand, is dumb as a post.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Horner should have been selected and he's pissed. While calling out McCartney may not be nice, what's the point - there's only five people, so it's pretty clear which rider below his level got the spot.

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
I could swear that earlier today the author of the article was listed as Neal Rogers, which surprised me as Horner had done all those video diaries with Rogers at the Tour last year. Now Rogers is just listed at the bottom of the article as 'contributing.'

Hmm . . .

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.