Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it looks like i'm going to be moving. My commute will be shrinking from about 5 miles to maybe 1 mile. That's just fine with me. I'll just have to do more recreational riding. Anyway since I won't be making my standard commute anymore I decided to take a few photos.

I won't have to wait at this intersection anymore.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coffee is Good

A little detour takes me to my favorite coffee shop for an iced coffee. I spend some time talking to the owner about the fun he has pulling his kids in their trailer and run into my brother and a co-worker. Then I head to the bike shop. It's my day off but the bike needs some love before we go any farther.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The plan

At the bike shop we devise a plan. We'll take 32nd ave all the way out to Golden, not something most people would do on a mountain bike but who cares. We'll ride past the Coors factory and up Chimney Gulch trail to the top of Lookout Mountain. When we get into Golden we take a break in front of some sort of art center and watch the RTD bus pass us by

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It hot and dry

I'm carrying 3 liters of water in my Camelback and a water bottle. The climb up Chimney Gulch provides little shade until you get to the top. There's an excelllent view of the city although it looks kind of hazy today.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
gourmet meal

After all that climbing some water and a powerbar really hit the spot. My camera decided it's memory was all filled up so that's the end of the photo's. I filled up on water at the mountain-top nature center and descended down some great trails. As I was making my way back to the road all the folks who had been trapped at work were just getting to the trails. I pointed the Punisher East and we high-tailed it back to Denver.

· Registered
9,274 Posts
FrontRanger said:
I am always wondering what careers the car-less are involved in. Care to share?
It sounds like the original poster works at a bike shop, but since you replied to my message here you go.

Myself, Im definitely not carless. I have a Civic Hybrid that I use for commuting and a truck for other adventures. My driving commute is from Broomfield to Inverness which is about 33 miles each way. When I commute by bike I drive to DU and then ride in from there. 12.5 miles each way makes it an easy commute.

The jobs are Financial Analyst and for a side business a button maker (Butnz.com). KJ

· Registered
1,295 Posts
KJohnson said:
It sounds like the original poster works at a bike shop, but since you replied to my message here you go.

Myself, Im definitely not carless. I have a Civic Hybrid that I use for commuting and a truck for other adventures. My driving commute is from Broomfield to Inverness which is about 33 miles each way. When I commute by bike I drive to DU and then ride in from there. 12.5 miles each way makes it an easy commute.

The jobs are Financial Analyst and for a side business a button maker (Butnz.com). KJ
I guess I just hit reply at the bottom.......

My new commute (2days a week) is 1.2 miles so I can't complain. Rest of the time I am a freelance so it requires me driving. I love the concept of no car but right now other things are more important.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
FrontRanger said:
Photographer. I still do some IT consulting as it just pays so damn well but trying to wean myself completely away from it.
Giood luck...I've been trying to get out of IT for the last 12 years. It keeps sucking me in.

· Registered
9,274 Posts
FrontRanger said:
Photographer. I still do some IT consulting as it just pays so damn well but trying to wean myself completely away from it.
Very cool. I just bought my first real camera (not point and shoot) last month. I got a Nikon D50. Still don't quite know what to do with all the menu's and stuff, but it takes fantastic pictures. I'm taking a class at the end of the month that should help me use a little of the functionality. Can't wait to see what happens after I have a little knowledge. :D

· Registered
1,295 Posts
KJohnson said:
Very cool. I just bought my first real camera (not point and shoot) last month. I got a Nikon D50. Still don't quite know what to do with all the menu's and stuff, but it takes fantastic pictures. I'm taking a class at the end of the month that should help me use a little of the functionality. Can't wait to see what happens after I have a little knowledge. :D
D50 is a nice one. I like the little P&Ss for their simplicity but sometimes you need the slr to get exactly what you want. A class is definitely a good idea. And I hate to break it to you but it is you not the camera that is taking those good shots. :cool:

· Registered
9,274 Posts
FrontRanger said:
D50 is a nice one. I like the little P&Ss for their simplicity but sometimes you need the slr to get exactly what you want. A class is definitely a good idea. And I hate to break it to you but it is you not the camera that is taking those good shots. :cool:
It will help when I know what setting to change to get the focal points to change and how to work so I can get the picture the way I want it. For me right now it's like having a car and only knowing how to turn right. Eventually you can get where you want, but it's not the most efficient way of doing it. I'm looking forward to the class. Actually seeing all the great pictures here are inspiring and give me lots of ideas.

Losing the P&S skiing was my motivation for getting a new camera before we went on vacation. It was also a good excuse for upgrading and my wife agreed as long as she could take a picture with it. The D50 was a good choice because she took 5 out of the 600 pictures on vacation. She was happy and therefore so was I. (now using the same logic shouldn't I lose my bike.......Mmmmmmmm.....Upgrade ????)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.