Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Non non normal
10,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy at work gave me a bag of golf ball sized red peppers. I asked if they were hot and he told me they were not too hot. I decided to put a half of one on my salad one evening and the results were like nothing I had ever felt before. I ate the salad and my face felt like a thousand pin pricks all over my entire face and neck. About 4 minutes later I was sweating like I just climbed Mt. Mitchell on a 97 degree, 97% humidity day.

My knuckles got burned handling the peppers. I had washed my hands but the residual oil burnt other skin areas as well that actually peeled.

Anyway, I found a recipe and made some Bigrider Bleeding Anus Hot Sauce.
Caribbean Reds are dangerous (450,000 scoville units)

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
I like heat to the point where the pepper/sauce starts losing its flavor, then it becomes kinda pointless.

That guy on Man vs. Food annoys me when he starts drooling and sweating all over the place because of the heat.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Are you sure this person wasn't trying to assassinate you?

I don't really understand how anyone enjoys super hot stuff. Jim311 is not a fan.

·
half-fast
7,377 Posts
I like hot stuff, but not like that, not anymore. I don't get the fire down below much, but sometimes they lay in mah belly and burn for a long, long time.

·
half-fast
7,377 Posts
I think the best hot sauce label I saw was Mega-sore-ass with a picture of a dino. He had a cloud or something behind him.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
You -do- develop tolerance (or is it just burned out taste buds?) for the stuff.

Mine is fairly moderate, I don't eat hot stuff daily.

I used to run a bulk foods department at a natural foods store, and we had several types of dried chili powders. I stocked the hottest one, wearing rubber gloves, but was less careful than I should have been about little bits of powder in the air.

For the entire day, whenever a customer walked past the spice rack, they would sneeze.

It took me a few to figure out why...

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Our society lacks subtlety. The same folks that like the stoopid-hot stuff like the mega-hop IPA's. If not the actual same people, at least they share a disorder.

I likes me a good bit of heat, but mostly things named with pride about pain, and most anything 'habanero' is just about the heat.

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
I don't get why people would ingest something like that. It's no fun to eat something that makes you suffer, or at least that's my thinking. Maybe they have some weird masochistic desire to be in pain.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
danl1 said:
Our society lacks subtlety. The same folks that like the stoopid-hot stuff like the mega-hop IPA's. If not the actual same people, at least they share a disorder.

I likes me a good bit of heat, but mostly things named with pride about pain, and most anything 'habanero' is just about the heat.
Fire roasted habaneros can be absolutely delectable.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
danl1 said:

10 years ago, I would have agreed with you. But I've since built up my tolerance and can taste through the heat -- and habanero is good stuff.

I'm going to order some ghost peppers soon. :eek:

·
Non non normal
10,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually the hot sauce I made tasted great. I used rubber gloves and took all the veins and seeds out of the peppers. It ended up being very hot but also very tasty because of the flavor or the recipe.

I am bringing some to the next east coast ride along with all the other stuff I have in excess including honey, apples, pears, and old cycling shoes.

·
Non non normal
10,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
10ae1203 said:
wait, there's an east coast ride?

Not yet but I am predicting one before snowfall.

·
half-fast
7,377 Posts
Oh, whew, I thought I missed something.

I have been thinking that a good ride could be put together starting at Nottingham park. It could even be made to find a covered bridge or 4.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts