Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow riders!

This past year I've really increased my mileage on the bike and as a result I've been getting really bad "hot spots". I've tried moving the cleats around, I've adjusted my seat, I normally ride at a higher cadence rather than mashing the pedals, tried wiggling my toes while riding and I'm using "Profeet" footbeds... but about 20 miles into a ride I still get hot spots. I'm currently wearing the Deodora Speed Racer R shoes and I've read that a shoe with a stiffer sole (carbon) may solve the problem. I'm looking at the BG Comp shoe by Specialized, their BG stuff really seems to work well, but I don' t want to spend $170+ on a pair of shoes if it's not going to solve the problem. Does anyone have any recommendations or know of something I'm doing wrong? :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm actually getting all three... numbness, cramps, and shooting pain in the balls of my feet. I just got back from my LBS and I'm starting to think that my shoes might be a little too big...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fetus19 said:
Hello fellow riders!

This past year I've really increased my mileage on the bike and as a result I've been getting really bad "hot spots". I've tried moving the cleats around, I've adjusted my seat, I normally ride at a higher cadence rather than mashing the pedals, tried wiggling my toes while riding and I'm using "Profeet" footbeds... but about 20 miles into a ride I still get hot spots. I'm currently wearing the Deodora Speed Racer R shoes and I've read that a shoe with a stiffer sole (carbon) may solve the problem. I'm looking at the BG Comp shoe by Specialized, their BG stuff really seems to work well, but I don' t want to spend $170+ on a pair of shoes if it's not going to solve the problem. Does anyone have any recommendations or know of something I'm doing wrong? :confused:
Just to clarrify, the hot spots I'm getting are mainly along the knife edge and balls of my feet. I do have high arches too, so I'm thinking I might need more arch support? That's kind of why I got the Profeet footbeds

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pdh777 said:
Did the footbeds help at all? - or did theproblem start after you started using the footbeds?
The footbeds seemed to have helped for a little while, but I've been steadily increasing my mileage since and the hot spots have returned. But out of curiosity, would riding in the rain ruin the footbeds? I have done numerous rides when it's wet outside. I do my best to air out the shoes and soles after wet rides.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ray_from_SA said:
Did you check the screws holding the cleats on aren't too long and so poking through into the bottom of your feet?

Also, what pedals are you using?
The screws apear to be fine. I'm using a basic set of Shimano road pedals... I think they're the 105's?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
IME stiffer soles help. Until something better comes along I'll be riding on carbon fiber soles. The all carbon soles, not the carbon composite are da bomb! I'm on my 3rd pair, two were Shimanos and this pair is Specialized. I had hot spots before...not any more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.