Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been having hot spots on the balls of my feet. In the center at the base of the middle toe to the big toe. It first happened early this summer when trying to hang on a super fast ride - so during a very hard effort. Haven’t really felt it since. But it happened again on the race I did 2 weeks ago with a lot of climbing and hard effort also. VERY painful. The odd thing is that I’ve had the same shoes and cleat set up for 3 years (Specialized and Shimano 'Lance' pedals) and this is just staring to happen.
So I tried my older shoes (Sidi) this past weekend as a test. I had those for about 6 years before the ones I ride in now. During that 67 mile ride in Westport, MA, It happened again (around mile 50 or so). The pain wasn’t as acute as it was in the race, but I did feel discomfort.
Any thoughts? Why would it start to happen all of a sudden when nothing has changed? Suggestions on what I can do?
Neither 6 years in the Sidis nor 3 years in the Specialized has given me issues til now?!?!

Thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sounds like maybe your feet are swelling more than they used to. Seems to happen more in intense heat for me.

Loosening the straps a bit may help the symptoms, not sure about a cure for the cause (assuming swelling is the issue).

Or it could be something completely different...:confused:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've been experiencing the same feeling with my feet and my Shimano's lately. I thought perhaps the insoles had broken down and starting to feel the soles more. I switched over to brand new pair of Sidi's and within the first 30 miles or so I started experiencing the same sensation. Both days were quite hot out (90+ degrees), so perhaps loosening the straps might help.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
ddesmonts said:
Any thoughts? Why would it start to happen all of a sudden when nothing has changed? Suggestions on what I can do?
Neither 6 years in the Sidis nor 3 years in the Specialized has given me issues til now?!?!

Thanks.

Then it sounds like your foot, and not the shoe. Maybe an inflamed tendon or a bone spur?

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
Anything else change- your position- seatpost, saddle, stem, bars, etc? Reason I ask is I was just having issues with my entire right side, but it started with my right foot. I thought it might have been a change in my shoes and when I went back to a setback post the issues disappeared, as did the discomfort in my right foot.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I learned an important lesson a couple months ago - feet change over time and actually get longer as we age as everyone's arch falls a little bit over time resulting in longer feet. I had to go up a full size from shoes I had worn for years with no issues. Sometimes just because we have had something for a very long time doesn't mean it is good for us now. With all this heat I bet your feet are swelling more and you just need some bigger shoes to accomodate (or if you are not, try some very thin socks).

·
Roadbikereview member
192 Posts
I second what Tornado said, check the insoles I have 2 pair of Sidi same size, one is 6 year old the other 3 year old, Was having pain between the big toe and the 2nd toe left foot just behind the ball of the toes. Install a pair of Specialized BG footbeds that support the metatarsal arches, no more pain. Also put one of the varus wedge in both shoes too, this was 3 weeks ago. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts