Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm suprised no ones posted this shocking news yet. :)

Where's the outrage, where do I go to protest?

New Zealand hotel cafe bars cyclists in Lycra shorts - BBC News

Some good stuff here...

"We just want to set the standards out here in the country and make sure people wear trousers when they go out for breakfast,"

"I am not against Lycra in general, just Lycra shorts. A lot of our customers are elderly or children and they don't need to know that much detail about the shape of somebody."

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Simple fix - tuck one of those skort thingys in your pocket and throw it on when you stop for your double shot skinny mocha.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
If they're worried about unsightly bulges, why aren't women wearing yoga pants banned, too?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts
If they're worried about unsightly bulges, why aren't women wearing yoga pants banned, too?
Yoga pants are the least of it.

Round here leggings and "running" tights are now practically business attire among the demographic of people whom you cringe seeing where the aforesaid.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Yea, and get rid of those tight fitting blouses, halter tops, T's, sweaters, evening gowns, etc. Let's have everyone start wearing a barrel again like they did in the old days.

Didnt' god make us in his image? If it is good enough for him, what is with the Hotel? And explain to me why god needed feet!

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Maybe the shorts makers will take note and finally start making privates pockets like Assos now does. The thing that bothers me most about most all shorts is the lack of proper place for the privates to go. Trying to smash them against the body without a proper supporting pocket is archaic. Get with it clothing companies, wake the **** up.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
If I can ever get the scratch needed so I can go bike in New Zealand, I won't be hanging out anywhere that is so snooty as to have a dress code beyond 'clothes; yes please'.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I think they are, well shorts anyways, looks like pants are OK.

has barred customers in Lycra shorts from its cafe, in a bid to avoid the sight of "unsightly" bulges

·
Registered
50 Posts
So just make sure that you are wearing riding knickers or tights when you go in there. If they try to complain, you can point out that "these aren't shorts".

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Is a dress code such a bad thing? Seems like everybody's walking their dogs in pajamas now. Maybe we need some restrictions?

But then, bicycling IS the instigator of fashion. Women started wearing pants when safety bikes made the sport accessible to them, probably very shocking at the time. Maybe lycra is becoming de rigueur for all fashionable people?

·
Super Moderator
40,824 Posts
Is a dress code such a bad thing? Seems like everybody's walking their dogs in pajamas now. Maybe we need some restrictions?

But then, bicycling IS the instigator of fashion. Women started wearing pants when safety bikes made the sport accessible to them, probably very shocking at the time. Maybe lycra is becoming de rigueur for all fashionable people?
I think that's stretching it.

:7:

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
A restaurant has a dress code and modifies it as they see appropriate to their business. Shocking. Sue them! Oh wait, it's NZ. They probably don't sue over little stuff

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts
Fashion will become practical and sports-friendly, like on Star Trek.
Everyone will start wearing onesies, and those damned to wear the read will be offed first?

Women K-12 teachers here have taken to wearing leggings/tights to teach at schools...and srsly makes my head sore figuring out why on earth they think is is appropriate. It is one thing if you're out and about and coming/going from a workout...but to work when the only sweat you break is benching doughnuts in the break room?

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
If I can ever get the scratch needed so I can go bike in New Zealand, I won't be hanging out anywhere that is so snooty as to have a dress code beyond 'clothes; yes please'.
Oh it's the absolute reverse of snooty. These are the ******** of Canterbury trying to get some attention. It worked, but I fully support their right to ban lycra. I have never felt the need to stop mid ride for a sit down coffee and bun. If you are wearing lycra you should be riding at a god clip. So get riding, stop posing and after you have finished your ride relax. Damn posers.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts
Oh it's the absolute reverse of snooty. These are the ******** of Canterbury trying to get some attention. It worked, but I fully support their right to ban lycra. I have never felt the need to stop mid ride for a sit down coffee and bun. If you are wearing lycra you should be riding at a god clip. So get riding, stop posing and after you have finished your ride relax. Damn posers.
You clearly aren't riding in the right parts.

Best thing is every year on Tour de Nebraska when 100 or so cyclists ride by and stop at a winery. They don't mind at all. AAMOF, the "worst" reaction ever gotten out of those rural red-state folk is "how many of you are coming? BILL?! CALL ____, WE NEED MORE HANDS!!!"

1 - 20 of 29 Posts