• 100-110

Votes: 79 34.8%
  • 90-100

Votes: 56 24.7%
1 - 20 of 66 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was out riding yesterday doing a 40 mile ride and i was just pounding the water i had with me. I went through 6 bottles in 37 miles and ran out at the end so it probally would have been seven. When i got home i decided to check the temp and it turns out it was 105 in So cal. So whats the hottest youve ever ridden in?

·
Banned
45 Posts
jains89 said:
So i was out riding yesterday doing a 40 mile ride and i was just pounding the water i had with me. I went through 6 bottles in 37 miles and ran out at the end so it probally would have been seven. When i got home i decided to check the temp and it turns out it was 105 in So cal. So whats the hottest youve ever ridden in?
It sounds like you have been riding the same roads and by-ways in and around
Palm Springs that I have been riding--except for a winter in Casper, Wyoming, and
a few years in the Pentagon--since 1978. I have ridden a number
of times when the official temp was 122 (only because I wanted to say that I had done
it) ...pour some water inside the cloth in your helmet and pour some water on the back
of your neck and let it run inside your jersey down your spine...like every 15 minutes.
There's places like Bullhead City, AZ and Yuma, AZ that about the same. Hottest
temp I've been in was 128 official in Thermal, CA, which is 35 miles SE of Palm Springs.
I didn't have my bike with me on that day...but, it took all the runway to get my little
Cessna 152 into the air that afternoon. My coldest morning was minus 52 official in
Casper. Thank goodness, my bicycle was in Palm Springs and not in Casper or I
would have put in a few miles in that ice-box just to say I had done it. This morning
I rode in Culver City-West Los Angeles and the temperature was 66.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
only problem with that is i have school and i can only ride after 3. So i gnerally ride from 3-6. And its been about 100 for the past week in the L.A. area

·
Banned
45 Posts
Weekend training ride

jains89 said:
only problem with that is i have school and i can only ride after 3. So i gnerally ride from 3-6. And its been about 100 for the past week in the L.A. area
Since you ride in the Los Angeles area, here's a little ride you should take on a
Saturday morning: start at the Venice Pier; work your way down Washington Blvd.
to Sepulveda; turn north and ride past UCLA over the Sepulveda Pass, through the tunnel, and work your way to Balboa as Sepulveda ends going into the Newhall Pass; pull the Newhall Pass turn on Lyons Blvd. and ride to William S. Hart High School in Newhall.
You can only use a true-ten speed...none of these three chainring 29 gear jobs.
You get to Hart High School only to find that the person you had ridden to meet isn't
home; she has ridden her bicycle into Hollywood for the day. So, you reverse your
course and ride back to the Venice Pier riding five minutes and resting every five
minutes to get you up and over the Sepulveda Pass southbound. But, it may just be
a routine ride for you. It was exhausting for me. But, its the one ride I will always
remember.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,344 Posts
jains89 said:
Well today was an atypical ride...75F-due to the T-storms coming in. :blush2::)

Normally I don't mind the heat so much as the dewpoint/humidity (ick), as well as getting sun scorched (anything less than SPF 45 UVA&B don't do squat when the sun is really out). Since naturally both are normally paired, I do my riding @ dawn/sunset @ temp around 80-85ish. If it's cloudy/ or dry I'll go out in the 90s/100s & gulp the water.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
I

generally won't ride if it's greater than 105......that's just plain silly. Dehydration, hyponatremia, heat stroke, heat exhaustion......as a Sports Medicine practitioner, it's just not worth it if I'm not getting paid...It's one thing for the pros......I'll ride indoors on the trainer in air conditioning when it gets above that.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
About 6 or 7 years ago I went out on our usual Thurs training ride when the temps were 105 with a heat index of 112. After 45 minutes, to an hour, we all crawled back at a sedate 15 mph (and that felt too fast). It was so friggin' hot, your breath felt hot on your chest. I was light headed all that night, and the next day.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Riding in temps above 90 is no good. If the weather is going to be hot, rise early and make the best of the morning cool and quiet.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Last summer I did the the local Century ride called "Smog to Surf" from Riverside, CA to Huntington Beach...and back. It was August and it was hot. I recorded a street temp of 112 at one point on my Polar during the last 20 or so miles of the return. At about that point the friend I was riding with stopped responding to my conversation. I looked over and he was out of it. We pulled into a cool cafe and loaded him up on cold liquids and icey stuff. He was good to go after about 45 minutes and we continued along our way with him kicking my butt.

I think the ride has gone PC this year and changed the time of year to the Fall and the name to Riverside to Seaside. So much for being proud of our Smog heritage!

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
jeff262 said:
Last summer I did the the local Century ride called "Smog to Surf" from Riverside, CA to Huntington Beach...and back. It was August and it was hot. I recorded a street temp of 112 at one point on my Polar during the last 20 or so miles of the return. At about that point the friend I was riding with stopped responding to my conversation. I looked over and he was out of it. We pulled into a cool cafe and loaded him up on cold liquids and icey stuff. He was good to go after about 45 minutes and we continued along our way with him kicking my butt.

I think the ride has gone PC this year and changed the time of year to the Fall and the name to Riverside to Seaside. So much for being proud of our Smog heritage!
Ah, temperature on the pavement. That's an entirely different, but maybe more appropriate measure.

I'm guessing my 115 degree ride last summer resulted in pavement temps above 140-150+. That's a guess. Sitting at red lights was easily the worst part of the ride.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
As alienator sez, being stopped at lights is the worst part of riding in hot weather. The heat of the pavement just wells up and envelops you. When you're moving, though, you've got a nice breeze. As long as you aren't really hammering, it's fine...until you hit that breezless, treeless hill.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Last ride I did, three days ago it hit 100. I was going to do my regular ride of 47 miles, but it was too brutal. I deferred and turned around making it only a 22 mile ride. Today, I rode my 47 mile ride; the temp. hit 97. I hydrated and fueled, stopped and rested about every ten miles or so. Got home, the air conditioning was off and it was 85 degrees in my apartment. Bummer. I am slowling cooling down as I type this. If you are going to ride in the heat, you had better understand your own limitations, take food with you that supplies the electrolytes you need and drink enough water so that you don't get dehydrated.

When I ride in the heat I aim for a shady spot when I stop to rest. The slightest breeze is welcome. I also am the kind of guy that sweats like a pig. I carry a cloth with me to wipe the sweat so it doesn't get in my eyes. I try to rest as long as it takes for my body temp to drop so that I am no longer sweating, or if it's too hot to sit still and not sweat anyway, I'll get moving and take it easy while the wind chill cools me down. It's a weird feeling to be riding along and the wind is hot. Not everyone can stand the heat, so know if you can or not because it's dangerous out there when it is over 100.

12 Posts
Best bike route on a 100+ day

Insight Driver said:
Last ride I did, three days ago it hit 100. I was going to do my regular ride of 47 miles, but it was too brutal. I deferred and turned around making it only a 22 mile ride. Today, I rode my 47 mile ride; the temp. hit 97. I hydrated and fueled, stopped and rested about every ten miles or so. Got home, the air conditioning was off and it was 85 degrees in my apartment. Bummer. I am slowling cooling down as I type this. If you are going to ride in the heat, you had better understand your own limitations, take food with you that supplies the electrolytes you need and drink enough water so that you don't get dehydrated.

When I ride in the heat I aim for a shady spot when I stop to rest. The slightest breeze is welcome. I also am the kind of guy that sweats like a pig. I carry a cloth with me to wipe the sweat so it doesn't get in my eyes. I try to rest as long as it takes for my body temp to drop so that I am no longer sweating, or if it's too hot to sit still and not sweat anyway, I'll get moving and take it easy while the wind chill cools me down. It's a weird feeling to be riding along and the wind is hot. Not everyone can stand the heat, so know if you can or not because it's dangerous out there when it is over 100.
Stay behind the Sparkletts water truck.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Regular air temperature...no more than 95 or so. It rarely if ever gets to triple digits. It is humid though.

And yes, the pavement heat is the worst part of it, especially when you are going up a steep hill in the blazing sun.

I'm also not a big fan of really hot rides.

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
Humidity level is a key variable. Last summer I rode around Lake Geneva in WI for about 30 miles or just over 1.5 hours on non-stop rolling hills when it was 104 and extremely humid. I think I went through about five bottles of water and at the end I was on the verge of heat stroke. 104 in that sort humidity is somewhat more brutal than in a dryer climate like in SoCal.

I did 3 hours in the Pasadena/Rose Bowl area yesterday. It was still 88 at around 7:00 pm according to my cyclometer. That was in the shade and off the pavement when I was getting more water. That was a three bottle ride. I'm not a fan of riding when heat just starts to kick in. I need a solid week of riding easy in the heat before I'm acclimated and can do a hard effort.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.