Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the bank is finally finished raking me over the coals to see if I'm a good risk and has seen fit to offer me a mortgage. Now my problem is I can't afford any thing in this area. I'm in Fort Collins Co. an the housing market is white hot right now and no one with in 50 miles of here is building any thing for less then 300k. And my budget is around 150k.
I want to move up the mountains to RedFeather but it seams like the only thing available I can afford right now are mobil homes and I don't want that. My job is opining a new office up Cheyanne Wy. My boss told me if I go up there then I can end up in charge of the office once its business grows to where it can be independent of our office. Its tempting but if you have even been to Cheyanne then you know why I don't want to live up there. The wind never stops blowing, its about the most un bike friendly places I can think of, and I would have only 2 options to mountain bike with in 30min. Right now I have vary high quality mountain biking and road riding right out my door.
My other option is moving out around Greeley Co. But once again if you have ever been to Greeley you know why I don't want to live there. Its a bit more bike friendly then Cheyanne but the area around it has become so over crowded that the traffic makes getting in and out of the area a nightmare for a good part of the day. I would have more dirt road riding options but I would have to drive to mountain bike. So all I can say for now is :mad2:.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
What about Loveland? The houses there seem more reasonably priced than Fort Collins, albeit not quite down to $150k.

I interviewed for a job in that area several weeks ago and was in sticker shock over the prices of rentals. For a one-bedroom apartment I'd be paying 50% more than I am now.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about Loveland? The houses there seem more reasonably priced than Fort Collins, albeit not quite down to $150k.

I interviewed for a job in that area several weeks ago and was in sticker shock over the prices of rentals. For a one-bedroom apartment I'd be paying 50% more than I am now.
Loveland is still too expensive. Johnstown is a possibility but there just isn't much available right now. What sux is if I go more then 6miles from the office I can't take my work truck home or I have to pay millage.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Loveland is still too expensive. Johnstown is a possibility but there just isn't much available right now. What sux is if I go more then 6miles from the office I can't take my work truck home or I have to pay millage.
That really sucks. Are you sure it's the right move to buy now though? I am not saying it's not the right move but check out "buy vs rent calculator" on google.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That really sucks. Are you sure it's the right move to buy now though? I am not saying it's not the right move but check out "buy vs rent calculator" on google.
No its probably not the best time. But I'm sick of renting, sick of living under a slum lord, sick of living in a house that needs lots of work and I can't do any of it because it's not mine. I could move but it's going to cost me more so why not buy.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
No its probably not the best time. But I'm sick of renting, sick of living under a slum lord, sick of living in a house that needs lots of work and I can't do any of it because it's not mine. I could move but it's going to cost me more so why not buy.
Why can't you hold your landlord accountable for not fixing things?

Colorado Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent | Nolo.com
Top 9 Legal Tips for Landlords in Colorado | Nolo.com
Colorado Landlord Retaliation State Laws | Nolo.com
https://dola.colorado.gov/app_uploads/docs/Renter_booklet_2009.pdf

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Because he is charging me allot less then the market value and I can't afford to have hime rase my rent $500 a month. Its not worth the fight I just want to get out of here.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Can you hear my violin? Haha. I'm at the Jersey shore. Ridiculous! I feel your pain! Consider though, that if this isn't your permanent location, buying and selling and buying, while fine, might have serious tax disadvantages on the next sale. I'm no accountant... So what do I know, other than I was talking my accountant and letting home know we may be looking to size down soon and are beginning to consider out options.

That said, if house shopping sux, try building... It was horrible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts