Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
no disagreement. we did it for about 8 months before we found our current place.
about to enter the market again for a rental purchase.
putting it off as long as possible...

good luck. don't buy unless its the right place.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no disagreement. we did it for about 8 months before we found our current place.
about to enter the market again for a rental purchase.
putting it off as long as possible...

good luck. don't buy unless its the right place.
I had my hart set on a town up in the mountains were my friend lives. I tried to drive up there today after work because it is snowing. I wanted to see how bad it was. I almost crashed my car twice. I'm starting to think it could be a mistake.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
I had my hart set on a town up in the mountains were my friend lives. I tried to drive up there today after work because it is snowing. I wanted to see how bad it was. I almost crashed my car twice. I'm starting to think it could be a mistake.
meh.....buy chains. what's a little snow? :thumbsup:

home ownership involves hundreds of trips to the home improvement/hardware store, water leaks, rodent infestations, remodeling delays, insurance claims, back breaking work, dealing with contractors, endless costs...that someone sold as the 'American dream'
a little snow is nothing.

·
30 mpdb
1,001 Posts
Most mountain folk I know had some combination of AWD/4WD and winter capable tires (A/T or snow). If you really want to live there, its obvious what you need to do: get yourself a bro truck.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
3 days in and all I can say is. :mad2:
times eleventy! We've done it twice and eventually settled on a house, in part, because we we're bonkers from driving around neighborhoods and visiting a, seemingly, endless number of houses. I swear I felt like I was getting car-a-phobia a couple of times.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You will also encounter a lot of paperwork, once you find a home you want to purchase.

Get for sure a good house inspection before you buy.

·
Registered
783 Posts
These days, just use the internet....hotpads.com is a nice start. Interest Rates are still low...in the 80s my parents were paying something like 12 percent for home loan. Enjoy these days!!! Have Fun!!

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
It was way worse before the internet.

It's vital to know the area you want to move to.

What with online listings, google streetview and google earth, I looked at tons of places, before ever getting in the car for a visit.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Zillow is your friend--you can do a lot of pre-visit screening, neighborhood checkouts etc.

Trulia has the school district ratings--important if you have kids or want to maximize resale (something we overlooked and are now ruing the day...)

I'm a great believer that when you get clear about what you want, you will find it (except perhaps in NYC :>) )

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Learn to say "not the right house for me" faster. A list of "dealbreakers" will help in that.

Foundation or roof issues, no. Less than 200amp circuit breaker electrical, no. Corner lot, no. Set up your dealbreakers, and then spend time on those that pass, not those with issues.

That said, part of the process is a lot of looking, so that when you find one that feels different and better you will know it in your gut.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
We were fortunate to have gone from renting w/o a lease to our first house, so we were lucky to have the time to browse. It was a buyer’s market, too.

We used Trulia and Zillow. Every weekend, we’d check for open houses, print out the info for each, then figure the most efficient route from one to the next. Did this nearly every weekend for months. I think we started in January, finally closing in September or so.

We were bummed that we couldn’t afford to buy in the area we were renting in (here's a current example) , but the house we ended up with had nearly all the criteria on our checklist.

EDIT: Here’s a better example, since we were looking at houses and not apartments. See what a million and a half gets you! :eek:

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Get a good house inspection before you buy.
And make sure they check everything.

My female best friend just bought a beautiful $400K house.
Radon check showed a 12 when legal limit is 5 so seller had to pay to fix it. Thankfully it is .5 now after adding a vent system.

She closed on the house (two weeks ago) after getting every inspection except...she has a few random cracks in the stucco.
Yesterday she had a contractor out to quote sealing the cracks and he dropped the bomb that the stucco wasn't applied correctly when new and needs to be replaced for $28,000!

She and I are not fools and don't trust contractors at all but there have been some repairs that indicate he might be right. We're going to have a few others out to look at it and I'm going to learn as much as I can but if it does need replaced (on the entire exterior of the house!) it will cost about what he quoted.
If the problem was found before the sale I can't know if the seller would have paid but it might have affected her decision to buy that house.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
And make sure they check everything.

My female best friend just bought a beautiful $400K house.
Radon check showed a 12 when legal limit is 5 so seller had to pay to fix it. Thankfully it is .5 now after adding a vent system.

She closed on the house (two weeks ago) after getting every inspection except...she has a few random cracks in the stucco.
Yesterday she had a contractor out to quote sealing the cracks and he dropped the bomb that the stucco wasn't applied correctly when new and needs to be replaced for $28,000!

She and I are not fools and don't trust contractors at all but there have been some repairs that indicate he might be right. We're going to have a few others out to look at it and I'm going to learn as much as I can but if it does need replaced (on the entire exterior of the house!) it will cost about what he quoted.
If the problem was found before the sale I can't know if the seller would have paid but it might have affected her decision to buy that house.
My frustration with stories like this, is you are usually required to pay for a home inspection--which IME tells all about what you can see yourself, and does little to catch real problems with the house construction.

And if you sue the inspectors, or ask for damages when you find problems after closing, their liability is restricted to the price of the service--which they will refund. Biggest scam (or may PIM is the biggest and inspections the second biggest) in the whole home buying charade.

I passed up the chance to get engineers to look at our house (complicated construction) and later regretted not doing so--at least they have professional competence and ethics.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My frustration with stories like this, is you are usually required to pay for a home inspection--which IME tells all about what you can see yourself, and does little to catch real problems with the house construction.

And if you sue the inspectors, or ask for damages when you find problems after closing, their liability is restricted to the price of the service--which they will refund. Biggest scam (or may PIM is the biggest and inspections the second biggest) in the whole home buying charade.

I passed up the chance to get engineers to look at our house (complicated construction) and later regretted not doing so--at least they have professional competence and ethics.
As someone that has spent there entire working life in construction I feel I have a better then average chance of picking out problems when I look at a house.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Zillow is your friend--you can do a lot of pre-visit screening, neighborhood checkouts etc.

Trulia has the school district ratings--important if you have kids or want to maximize resale (something we overlooked and are now ruing the day...)

I'm a great believer that when you get clear about what you want, you will find it (except perhaps in NYC :>) )
I am looking on Zillow allot right now and then looking around on google street view when I think a house looks attractive. I didn't think about school districts just because I don't have any kids and have absolutely no plain to have any.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Learn to say "not the right house for me" faster. A list of "dealbreakers" will help in that.

Foundation or roof issues, no. Less than 200amp circuit breaker electrical, no. Corner lot, no. Set up your dealbreakers, and then spend time on those that pass, not those with issues.

That said, part of the process is a lot of looking, so that when you find one that feels different and better you will know it in your gut.
Just kind of wondering why no corner lot?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
No Zillow back in 2000 when we bought our current home.

I physically walked into 54 houses before finding my current.

The most enjoyable method and how I found this house, was getting on my slow bike and meandering around neighborhoods where we knew we might want to live. I was lucky in that I had not closed on the first place so had a place to live, the time to wait and were staying in the general area of the south shore of Long Island. My first house was so screwed up it taught me pretty much all I needed to know about what to look for.

I still got an engineer and after he looked at the place and all the renovation work that had been done and said "pay whatever they are asking".

1 - 20 of 70 Posts