Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day 1 of this round of unemployment. I'm actually a little giddy with excitement at the moment. SO NICE to have time off to get stuff done. SO NICE to get the psychological torture of the work environment off my shoulders.

This will eventually fade into crushing depression and doubt. But for now, it's a big relief. We've had at least a year to come to terms with it (those of us who weren't optimistic in any case.) :p

Have been up since 6am and am already on the second load of laundry. Showered, dressed, caffeinated and fed. Going to get the car into the shop in a bit (radiator leak.) Maybe a long-overdue haircut. Definitely some vacuuming.

Thinking about how to spend my week makes me tremble a bit, I don't know where to begin. :idea:

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Its going to be a great week in DC weather wise. I assume NYC is looking about the same. They're saying mid 70's by the end of the week. This winter has been such a treat compared to the last three years. I moved here from Minnesota -- got enough winter there to last me a lifetime.

Enjoy some time off. Your former job sounded like something out of a Dilbert cartoon. Better things will be on the horizon. Go for a bike ride ... but watch those red lights!

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha, I really cut back on the biking no thanks to those tickets. Now I can get back on the mtb for a change........oh wait, not during the spring thaw. Oh well, would like to do some more running; went hiking on Sunday (pretty sloppy but fun); general exploring...

Wish we lived closer to Jay Peak, sounds like they got ALL the snow. Thinking about mid-week ski discounts @ Hunter, that might be worthwhile even with the fake snow.

John is going for a guys' ski weekend this week, and I'm thinking about going off someplace by myself......dunno!

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Day 1 of this round of unemployment. I'm actually a little giddy with excitement at the moment. SO NICE to have time off to get stuff done. SO NICE to get the psychological torture of the work environment off my shoulders.

This will eventually fade into crushing depression and doubt. But for now, it's a big relief. We've had at least a year to come to terms with it (those of us who weren't optimistic in any case.) :p

Have been up since 6am and am already on the second load of laundry. Showered, dressed, caffeinated and fed. Going to get the car into the shop in a bit (radiator leak.) Maybe a long-overdue haircut. Definitely some vacuuming.

Thinking about how to spend my week makes me tremble a bit, I don't know where to begin. :idea:
Housewife is a busy job. June Cleaver spent her days cleaning, cooking and baking. Before Ward came home she'd change into a nice dress, put on some pearls and cater to his whims. This is how its done

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
"Going to get the car into the shop in a bit (radiator leak.)."

Please don't tell me this is John's beloved new Frontier with a leak ?.

Sorry to hear about the layoffs. There's pretty much no place on L.I. to mt. bike currently as BTW and according to the CLIMB website. Lot's of snow just melted. If it doesn't get below freezing this week, I'd bet Thurs./Friday or so.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Housewife is a busy job. June Cleaver spent her days cleaning, cooking and baking. Before Ward came home she'd change into a nice dress, put on some pearls and cater to his whims. This is how its done

**** that sh!t. I'm wearing a stained sweatshirt, jeans, old running shoes, and I need a haircut ASAP.

Cousin just dropped by with the "nephews," spent some time in the yard horsing around. That was fun!

Please don't tell me this is John's beloved new Frontier with a leak

Nope, the ol' Infiniti. They said it was actually the fan assembly causing the odor of radiator fluid due to overheating; John says he just replaced it. Shop says it might've been a defective part. I'm like :confused: No work done.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts

**** that sh!t. I'm wearing a stained sweatshirt, jeans, old running shoes, and I need a haircut ASAP.

Well, I guess the other housewife role model option is your avatar:D

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I guess the other housewife role model option is your avatar:D
I chose the avatar the last time I was unemployed. Might as well make it permanent! :rolleyes: That's my default position on the couch, but instead of bonbons I've got the laptop. And coffee instead of cigarettes. Plus a cat.

For those of you wondering what's happening on Maury: Tiffany is working as a bartender at a strip club, and her husband Michael (a househusband) can't take the jealousy. So they're going through their FB arguments, and he's denying that their baby is his. AH but she DID cheat on him ten years ago, hence his insecurity, but she insists that the past is the past...........

Meanwhile, Kiesha wants to let her fiance's ex in on a secret that will expose him as a liar and a cheater........ooooh.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
For those of you wondering what's happening on Maury: Tiffany is working as a bartender at a strip club, and her husband Michael (a househusband) can't take the jealousy. So they're going through their FB arguments, and he's denying that their baby is his. AH but she DID cheat on him ten years ago, hence his insecurity, but she insists that the past is the past...........

Meanwhile, Kiesha wants to let her fiance's ex in on a secret that will expose him as a liar and a cheater........ooooh.
Ah God, now your making me think about quitting my job.

Daytime TV is really priceless. It definitely caters to a certain segment of the population.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
I chose the avatar the last time I was unemployed. Might as well make it permanent! :rolleyes: That's my default position on the couch, but instead of bonbons I've got the laptop. And coffee instead of cigarettes. Plus a cat.

That's one thing I haven't gotten into at all.

I prefer podcasts, internet forums, and old DVD's. I'm on Season 2 of The Dukes Of Hazzard after binge-watching F is for Family, Longmire, and Arrested Development on Netflix. The joys of modern job-seeking...plopping on the couch, tailoring the ol' resume, and sending it out over Indeed, Careerbuilder, or any of the dozens of other job boards I'm on. The immediate downfall, of course, is having to compete with an entire Internet's worth of equally-qualified candidates.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's one thing I haven't gotten into at all.

I prefer podcasts, internet forums, and old DVD's. I'm on Season 2 of The Dukes Of Hazzard after binge-watching F is for Family, Longmire, and Arrested Development on Netflix. The joys of modern job-seeking...plopping on the couch, tailoring the ol' resume, and sending it out over Indeed, Careerbuilder, or any of the dozens of other job boards I'm on. The immediate downfall, of course, is having to compete with an entire Internet's worth of equally-qualified candidates.
I'm not a fan of daytime TV either, but do like to check in on Maury when I'm off the clock (it's often playing in doctor waiting rooms also!) Watched the first story and couldn't take anymore drama.

Can't decide what to do today. Haircut and more chores. :sleep:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm not a fan of daytime TV either, but do like to check in on Maury when I'm off the clock (it's often playing in doctor waiting rooms also!) Watched the first story and couldn't take anymore drama.

Can't decide what to do today. Haircut and more chores. :sleep:
Well now you have no excuse.

From CLIMB president Mike Vitti and as posted on the CLIMB website:

"As of 2/21/17 Bethpage Park is ok to ride. Most of the trail is firm with only a few soft spots where there is still snow."

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great, thanks! I should check Stillwell, since I'd get lost in Bethpage.

Usually don't even consider mtb during the spring, just to be on the safe side. Vitti does also suggest the "lawn test," meaning if your lawn is mushy, so are the trails.

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts

I recall your previous avatar was coffee.

I worked on a job where the breakroom had a tv tuned to cheaters every time we would go in for coffee break. A little of that goes a long way, but it is fun to wallow from time to time.

Poor Tiff, career path fixed from birth.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Great, thanks! I should check Stillwell, since I'd get lost in Bethpage.

Usually don't even consider mtb during the spring, just to be on the safe side. Vitti does also suggest the "lawn test," meaning if your lawn is mushy, so are the trails.
No longer an excuse as BP is now fully marked and it's just incredible how easy it is. You can use your smartphone to scan a barcode at one of the picnic area kiosks, it'll downed the map to your phone. Or here:

http://www.climbonline.org/2014j/pdf/maps/Bethpage_State_Park_LIGreenBelt_Map.pdf

My loop - Red to immediate Pink, to end to Orange, back to Red, to 1st Yellow and Yellow north, to Purple, to Blue, to Red dot on Yellow. 10 miles, easy pleasy.

·
Non non normal
10,100 Posts
I have been retired since April 30th. I need to get an office job. This retirement is killing me. Right now, I have been sanding, spackling, painting, and running a chain saw at my son's newly purchased house.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No longer an excuse as BP is now fully marked and it's just incredible how easy it is. You can use your smartphone to scan a barcode at one of the picnic area kiosks, it'll downed the map to your phone. Or here:

http://www.climbonline.org/2014j/pdf/maps/Bethpage_State_Park_LIGreenBelt_Map.pdf

My loop - Red to immediate Pink, to end to Orange, back to Red, to 1st Yellow and Yellow north, to Purple, to Blue, to Red dot on Yellow. 10 miles, easy pleasy.
Didn't realize they'd marked it. So cool. Since I have the time, I was thinking Rocky Point, but my permit is expired. Another to-do-list item!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts