Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
9,790 Posts
Look at the end. Shift housing has a bunch of wires arranged in a circle, perpendicular to the housing length. Brake housing has a spiral-wound wire running the length of the housing. From the end, you'll see a starting point where the housing was last cut, and then a spiral going down the housing.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PlatyPius said:
Look at the end. Shift housing has a bunch of wires arranged in a circle, perpendicular to the housing length. Brake housing has a spiral-wound wire running the length of the housing. From the end, you'll see a starting point where the housing was last cut, and then a spiral going down the housing.
Thanks

One thing more. I cut the shifter cable with the park cable cutter. It crushed the inner wire.
Any advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've used the end of a pencil/pen in there to open it up. Anything you can get in there should work. It'll be fine once it's opened up.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A nail or small screwdriver

I use a nail or a small phillips screwdriver to open up the crushed housing. In the future you could insert a piece of the old cable and cut the tubing and cable together. This minimizes the collapse.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Scratch Awl or an ice pick work great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts