Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought that I would post this question here since the change will be done to my single speed road bike. I want to change the front fork on my single from a 1" threaded fork and headset to a 1" threadless fork and headset. I have seen this package sold at Performance but I don't like there fork that they sell so I was wondering if I buy a 1" threadless fork and headset will I be able to install them just like a regualr fork and headset or is there some little thing that I am missing that converts threaded to threadless???

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well

I already have a Thomson threadless stem on the threaded fork (using a threaded to threadless converter). SO I am looking at probably $100 to $150 with the cheap stuff -

Is it worth it?? Are you kidding I'm a bike addict I'll never be happy untill it's light, fast and georgeous. I know you guys out there know what I am talking about

· Registered
105 Posts
well, you can get a fork for ~100$ might even want to get one with disk mounts

if you ebay the stuff, its rather cheap.. I got a 70$ headset for 16$ including shipping

I have seen several stems for sale for <10$

so if all you need is a headset, stem, and fork, i would assume 130$ for new stuff, if you get a used fork, maybe even cheaper

· Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
As Dave said, it's really not cost effective, it won't shed a lot of weight. You're also going to need a stem shim as Thomson stems are all for 1 1/8" steer tubes. That's another $8 if you get the official Thomson shim.

I would also factor some labor too as you'll have to cut the fork steer tube and install the headset, neither are particularly hard but without the correct tools you can mess things up quickly.

· Registered
302 Posts
Quill adapter?

Aron said:
Thought that I would post this question here since the change will be done to my single speed road bike. I want to change the front fork on my single from a 1" threaded fork and headset to a 1" threadless fork and headset. I have seen this package sold at Performance but I don't like there fork that they sell so I was wondering if I buy a 1" threadless fork and headset will I be able to install them just like a regualr fork and headset or is there some little thing that I am missing that converts threaded to threadless???

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

I don't know why you are doing this, but if it's because there's a threadless/A-head type stem you want to use, you might try a quill adapter (see pic), rather than going to the expense of a new fork and headset. Google "quill adapter and you'll find a few. I've used them on a couple of bikes, including one mated with a Koski stem on my trackie for extra beefiness in the front end. If you're into brands and fixie-cool I think even Nitto makes one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.