Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Fashion and Function

jimcav said:
anyone have experience with them--i have no experience with synthetic fiber socks
jim
Perhaps if you lack experience start with traditional cycling sock brands such as DeFeet, Pearl Izumu, Smart Wool or some of the house brands from the catalogs. Get the socks designed for cycling. You will appreciate making the right choice at mile 80 of a century.

My impression is that UnderArmor stuff might be a little bit more fashion oriented so kids (and adults) can pretend to be NFL wannabes. In addition I do not think that UnderArmor makes cycling specific gear. For socks that would mean padding in the appropriate places and no padding in inappropriate places. Base layers with longer tails, longer sleeves, more venting in front than the rear, cut for a cycling position. Just a lot of little details you are not going to get at the sports store that sells candy at the checkout line. There may be some good stuff from UnderArmor you can use for cycling but since you lack experience go with what works.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks--i use smartwool

but the ball of foot wears out (i thought too fast)
so was thinking of other stuff

my main concern was not so much the brand as doing synthetic--i always used wool

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Wool & Synthetic

jimcav said:
but the ball of foot wears out (i thought too fast)
so was thinking of other stuff

my main concern was not so much the brand as doing synthetic--i always used wool
Well for temps below 60 I usually wear wool or if it is going to rain for sure. Above 60 I go for synthetic. Are you riding Smart Wool cycling socks which are thinner in select areas? Perhaps a different insole in your cycling shoes that does not abraid the ball of the sock. Does your foot have a lot of float/movement in your pedal stroke? I rarely have a problem with the ball of the foot wearing out, wool or synthetic.

·
Registered
205 Posts
UnderArmor sucks, IMO

I saw some UnderArmor shirts on sale for $12 or something, after the footbal season. I wear between a M and a L; in UnderArmor I'm wearing XL, and it's TIGHT. I think they want "compression"- which means looking like a sausage unless you size way up.

Big suck factor- the fabric weave. The weave is tight, tight tight- sweat does not wick, it sticks. I have been getting cold and clammy with UnderArmor base layer. Stopped wearing that shirt, and winter rides are fine-- no clammy end of ride chills at all.

I'll wear the shirt for short workouts or for protection from the sun... so I would not expect the socks to be really designed for endurance sports. Maybe I'm painting too much with this brush- but good socks count.

'meat

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
am trying them worth it at 2 pair for 7.95

they won't be warm, but then again it is supposed to be 60 by the end of the week in DC

·
Registered
135 Posts
socks are not the greatest....

I have lots of under armour clothing, it's great stuff, but the socks are not made for cycling. I have about 10 pairs of the Nashbar house brand socks, they hold up well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm using their socks now for both running and cycling. They recently came out with a new thinner design. The new ones are definitely more comfy and also breath better. The older ones were way too thick. My only concern now is wear, especially when using them for running. One pair pilled up a little under the ball of my feet after a recent 10 miler. The only cycling specific socks I've tried are the Performance ones and I prefer the new Under Armor's. For running, I've tried New Balance and they are solid, but again I prefer the Under Armour. Anyone out there have any other recommendations for a good all around sock?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
don't think my foot moves too much

but not sure what to compare it to? i ride speedplay and had ball-of-foot pain until i went to a carbon sole shoe. now am okay (at least to 4 hrs--that is about as far as i get to ride)

i liked smartwool to cycle and run, but they are all worn in the forefoot so am trying underarmor, i bought a 4-pack and will update you on how they feel.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Underarmor...

isnt so bad. I just got a "cold weather gear" shirt. Longsleeve turtle neck..keeps me a bit warmer when its 45 and foggy...the standard compression t is nice for warmer weather, i think it does a fine job.

YMMV

NK

·
Registered
342 Posts
The general consensus for durability is defeet socks. There are other good brands and smart wool is good for cold weather (but perhaps not so durable for everyday cycling).

Underarmor is a latecomer to the baselayer game and is pretty behind most other companies -- I would rate it lower than the generic performance / nashbar / supergo stuff. You could probably do just as well as underarmor by buying a polypro shirt at k-mart or target.

Castelli and defeet make some ok stuff, but I think the best baselayers are made by Craft (Swedish). They've been doing baselayers for xc skiing for a while and they've done a great job of transferring that experience to cycling base layers. They've even refined their base layers specifically for different conditions. The down side is that you'll pay a premium for Craft clothing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
Perhaps if you lack experience start with traditional cycling sock brands such as DeFeet, Pearl Izumu, Smart Wool or some of the house brands from the catalogs. Get the socks designed for cycling. You will appreciate making the right choice at mile 80 of a century.

My impression is that UnderArmor stuff might be a little bit more fashion oriented so kids (and adults) can pretend to be NFL wannabes. In addition I do not think that UnderArmor makes cycling specific gear. For socks that would mean padding in the appropriate places and no padding in inappropriate places. Base layers with longer tails, longer sleeves, more venting in front than the rear, cut for a cycling position. Just a lot of little details you are not going to get at the sports store that sells candy at the checkout line. There may be some good stuff from UnderArmor you can use for cycling but since you lack experience go with what works.

Unfortunate that you are not familar with the UnderArmor product...Base layering for the cold, or sleeveless shirt under the bibs with the cycling jersey over the top.....they make a fantastic product.....

As for the socks, they are great for cycling....I have been wearing the black ones from UnderArmor even before LA wore them in the TdF a couple of years ago....they are light, wick well, & are an invaluable part of my cycling kit....

The problem is that now that they've been around for a while, they don't discount their merchandise anymore...I bought most of mine with discounts & gift cards when they first came out....the only exception is that once in a while, the socks may be on sale....last fall I was able to get a 3-pack of black socks I use for cycling for a $12.00 pricetag.....

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update on underarmor socks

i have the crew height in white. they are thinner than smartwool rbx. i have ridden them in 43 degrees with booties for just over an hour and twice for 90-100 minutes at 47 and 51 degrees with just my shoes--no hot spots, felt good, not cold, not sweaty.
i like them--if they wear well then i will get them again at 7.95 for 2 pair--not bad

jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts