Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started riding and was wondering how i was doing. Last time i rode this loop i did it in
just under 45 mins with an average speed of 15.3. I have questions about the first leg of my ride. Can i call it a climb (dont know what constitutes a climb) or is it not steep enough. I have done climbs in the local mountains and i know i can call those climbs but what if you are just kinda going uphill. I avg about 10 to 11 to 12 mph on this section. How is that? What would be an appropriate speed i can try to work towards.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=224963

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Think less, ride more.

I don't mean that to be as snotty as it sounds, but...just go ride the bike. You'll get better as you go, and that's as much as you need to know for now. Find some other courses, too. I live in a place where the first and last five miles of any road ride are pretty well fixed by the geography, and I get SO tired of going out and back on that piece of pavement. You'll run into other riders as you go, and you'll be faster than some and slower than some. If the fast guys don't mind, hang with them and learn from them.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
+1

Yeah, just ride your bike. You get props for not claiming your average speed was 24, or that you can sprint 49 mph, or whatever. Your numbers sound like realistic beginner numbers. As you ride more, and push yourself, you will get faster.

If that 200-vertical-foot section was in a major tour, it would be called a Cat 4 climb if it was in the first week of the race, but not categorized later, once folks hit the mountains. It's uphill, so it's climbing. What exactly are you trying to ask?

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
The "standard" I've is when you can hold 18-or-so mph on the flats, you're strong enough to look into some group rides. You'll quickly see where you stack up from there, if you're curious. Keep at it!

·
Registered
838 Posts
There's no real answer to the "how am I doing" question. The answer is always "better than some, not as good as others." I don't know of any percentile system like on the SAT test.

Rather than try to measure yourself against others, measure yourself against yourself. Pick a few courses that you use as benchmarks. Ride them about once a month and see if you're getting faster with the same effort. Don't measure yourself too often. That is, don't go out today trying to be faster than yesterday.

To decide if you're doing well enough, you need to clarify your goals. Do you want to lose weight? Do you want to be health and fit? Do you want to have fun? Do you want to see the country? Are you after a sense of achievement? Do you want to beat your friends (or at least not let them drop you every time)? Do you want to ride in fast club rides? Do you want to race? Your short-term goals might be different than your long-term goals.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have only been riding road(and lurking here) for a few months. I think that this question comes up alot because it is lonely as a beginner. I know that I would like to ride in a group, but would hate to get blown out of the ride or hold anyone back in the ride due to concern or sympathy for me.
I often find myself wondering if I could keep up, Iguess I will just have to try it to find out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
kayakguy said:
I have only been riding road(and lurking here) for a few months. I think that this question comes up alot because it is lonely as a beginner. I know that I would like to ride in a group, but would hate to get blown out of the ride or hold anyone back in the ride due to concern or sympathy for me.
I often find myself wondering if I could keep up, Iguess I will just have to try it to find out.
I have only been riding for a couple of months as well, but I've done a good number of group rides. A lot of bike clubs will have a bunch of groups that ride at different paces. Odds are you can find a group that you can stick with.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
kayakguy said:
Start off with a slower group on a "non-drop" ride.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
Check your

kayakguy said:

area. I know where I am at...we have two bike clubs. The recyclers-who are primarily recreational, and velorochester-the one I belong to that is geared slightly more towards competitive biking. Both have different rides, for example:

Tues: Velo- FAST ride 20+ mph average, no regrouping- THESE are primarily the racers, and a beginner should NOT try to ride with them.

Wed: Velo- Medium 18+ mph, regrouping the first half of the ride.
Recyclers- 3 groups, 1- 14-15mph social ride, 2- 16-18mph medium ride, and 3- 18+ mph average fast ride-for them.

Sat: Velo- Medium 18+ mph, long distances, 70+ miles, regrouping the whole ride.

Sun: Velo- Social ride, 16-18mph, variable distances, regrouping the whole ride.

I posted these as an example, this is a sample of the ride schedule by me, check with your LBS as they will know which clubs/groups are in your area, and then you can obtain a ride schedule similar to the one above and start up. There is also a third club by me for women only called WOW- or women on wheels.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Here's another kind of ride to keep in mind: riders of all abilities all meet and start together. After a couple of miles or so, the group splits up into small groups of fast, medium and slower riders. Not a bad way to get started - you get to ride with the big boys for a while, then ride with people of your ability. After a year or so, you'll be riding in the fast group if you keep at it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.