Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In some areas I am very loyal. I think I will always have Sidi shoes, speedplay peedles and a Sella Italia Flite Saddles..on the flip side I have 5 different brands of shorts, 4 different wheelsets from 4 differnet builders...

On another note, would you purchase/use a product/service that is a major sponser of cycling only because of it sponsorship? I ask this one because I was watching program about NASCAR fans..who, appearently, will go out of their way to pruchase ONLY the products of their favorite driver's sponsor..

I for one avoid the USPS when I ever get the chance-thank god for email. I hope not to need phonak anytime soon...my wife uses T-moble..somehow I think Ullrich had little to do with decsion..

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
If the brand has earned my respect...

...I'll stay with it. I'll admit I have some layalty to Sidi, GT, C'dale, Fuji, Pearl Izumi, Voler, Giro and probably a few others I'm forgetting. Each one has done something unique in my mind that I have benefitted from. I return the favor by continuing to by their products.

-My first couple bikes were all Fuji. They were solid and performed flawlessly until the day I sold them.
-Sidi shoes just fit my feet perfectly. After having gone through a few pairs of MTB shoes I still use my first pair of Sidis. This will be their 8th season. Well worth the cash.
-I decided to go with a GT I-drive MTB frame when it first came out. It was a radical design that was just what I needed, if it worked as it was supposed to. They did plenty of marketing but the thing did exactly what they said it would. Even though I have broken two, I continue to ride/race that frame. The newest version has my mouth watering.

and so on...

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
On the cycling side of things, comfort (shoes, saddle, bibs) is a strong motivator for brand loyalty. I found I like PI 3D bibs, Sidi shoes and Pave saddles - I'll stick with them. Performance is another motivator - Vredestein Fortezzas work well with my local thorn problem. Other than that, I'm fickle when it comes to bike stuff.

In the real world, it's not quite as clear - much easier to jump around.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The few things I have a strong preference for are:
Sidi Shoes - love the way they fit
Thomson seatposts - easy setup, light weight, looks great
Chris King headsets - never had to replace one

I really wish I had a saddle I couldn't live without, but I don't. My latest venture into the black hole of saddle comfort is with a good old fashion Selle Italia Turbomatic 4. I only have a couple of 4+ hour rides on it but so far I like it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I try to vote with my $$

Bike:
I'm really loyal to Campy components. My dad use to be a bike racer, and loved the stuff, but for the most part he couldn't afford it. He almost gets teary eyed when he sees it on my steeds. Another reason is because my girlfriend is Italian, and thinks it is so sexy. I like the euro flare too. That is about it except for GU and Cytomax. I will try to get anything else as cheap as I can.

Sponsorships:
I try my hardest to support those that support cycling. I actually did get a T-Mobile plan (I think it is the best plan for me anyway), and have actually advocated for others to do so. I try to support local shops that sponsor teams. I probably won't be putting in new flooring, but if I did I would at least look at Quickstep and BerryFloor.

I was observing a crit once and watched a big pileup on my corner. One of the guys went over the top and showed some true unsportsmanlike conduct. I actually sent an e-mail to his sponsor telling him how disgusted I was by this racers actions. It was a black-eye for the sport. If you're going to be sponsored, you need to represent your company in the best possible light. JMHO

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
OwenMeany said:
In some areas I am very loyal. I think I will always have Sidi shoes, speedplay peedles and a Sella Italia Flite Saddles..on the flip side I have 5 different brands of shorts, 4 different wheelsets from 4 differnet builders...

On another note, would you purchase/use a product/service that is a major sponser of cycling only because of it sponsorship? I ask this one because I was watching program about NASCAR fans..who, appearently, will go out of their way to pruchase ONLY the products of their favorite driver's sponsor..

I for one avoid the USPS when I ever get the chance-thank god for email. I hope not to need phonak anytime soon...my wife uses T-moble..somehow I think Ullrich had little to do with decsion..
sidi and speedplay, ditto. I'm a not-quite Campy-only guy - I prefer ShimaNO for cranks, and if I got a tri bike, the drivetrain might be Shimano.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Probably more LBS loyal

OwenMeany said:

I tend to stay with the same bike shop more than the same brand. However having said that I don't think I will ever not own a GT i-drive MTB and my LBS doesn't sell them.

I have a delema right now. I have never owned anythiong with Campy on it and I am looking at a bike with it on now. Not sure if I should go for it or not. (Not trying to start a Campy vs...argument)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Are brands loyal to my budget?

ha ha.

I am loyal to Shimano, and Pearl Izumi (I get a pro form...) Other than that I'll go with:

--What fits the best
--What works the best
--What is the most economical ($$)
--What is the most aesthetically pleasing.

Hell, if a Sidi fit my right foot and a Carnac the left you could call me Hamper Boy!

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Brand avoidance

I have a knee jerk reaction to popular or well promoted stuff. If everyone has it, I avoid it. Which is why I will most likely never own anything with a Trek lable, nothing personal against the company or Big Tex.

If it's a choice between equally well performing products that I need/want and price isn't a big issue I will usually choose whatever is less commonly seen. Call it the panache of the unusual.

Whoops, ya' know I do have a Trek. A 1988 360. But it was made before they were real popular, it isn't emblazoned with a hundred logo decals, and I got it for a plate of baked goods. So maybe it's just the odd that attracts me.

My one absolute brand loyalty is Asics running shoes.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yea, Asics rock

As long as I run, I'll run in them.

Other than that, I rid ewhatever I can get the best deals on- luckly, I've been able to stay with soem of the same companies for a while. Namely, Orbea bicycles and a local LBS- Ballwinn Cycles.

Road:
Orbea Bicycles (www.orbea-usa.com)
Shimano Components and Shoes
AMclassic wheels
Verge Clothes

Mnt:
C-dale bikes and clothes
Shimano Parts and Shoes

Like I said, Ballwinn Cycles has taken good care of me since my uncle got me hooked on riding. It's a good deal- they take care of me, I buy everything from them and recomend them to other cyclists when they ask. (thanks for putting up with some shameless plugs)

·
check out the podium
535 Posts
Agreed on the Asics Gel Nimbus for me..

...and much like an earlier post, I feel the need to stay away from the "popular" brands. Would never own a Trek, Specialized, Giant, Lemond, Cannondale, there are other smaller/local companies that sell comparably equipped bikes for the same money. Funny thing is that my fantastic LBS sells Trek/Lemond/Klein exclusively.

After college I really wanted a Dean mtn bike but could not scare up the cash. I now have one of their road bikes and I'll be getting my second shortly. I like having a bike no one else has, even though it is really nothing special (853 I believe with ultegra and plain ol' open pros).

I'm a shimano guy, for no other reason that I have too many shimano wheelsets to bother converting. No other allegiances, although I think for the money Nike 8 panel shorts are about the most comfortable thing my arse has ever seen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.