Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 1 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2007 Specialized Sirrus Sport bike that I just rode in my first “sprint” triathlon this weekend. I never really noticed how slow this bike is until I was passed by a few mountain bikes running slicks and much older road bikes that looked liked they were sitting in the back yard for the last 20 years. I completed the 14 mile bike phase of this race in 58 minutes, which is slightly more than 14 mph. Granted that I did not train for speed when I was training these last few months, but it seems like I really need to exert a lot of pedaling power to push this bike up mild hills and move it along the flats at 14 mph. I basically trained by climbing up steep mountain roads once a week (at a slow cadence pace), commuted to work with a fully loaded bike three time a week (6 miles each way) and complete the week with (one) 30 mile run that mimicked the triathlon’s route. I did not ride with anybody, so I naturally did not push myself that hard to build speed.

Given all the holes in my training regiment, I still feel that this bike is slow. I’m not sure if its frame flex, the worn out proprietary wheel set, the Specialized 700 x 28 All Condition Sport tires, the chain-rings on the Sugino XD-500 cranks or the semi upright geometry but something makes this bike hard to pedal. Note; that this bike has about 1200 miles on it, the hubs have been rebuilt twice (the second rebuild was last week), the SPD pedals were rebuilt (cleaned and re-greased) last week, the OEM BB was replaced last month with a UN-54 and the chain was replaced two weeks ago as well. A drive side spoke broke at the elbow three months ago and was replaced with a DT Swiss spoke so I’m not sure if all the OEM spokes are fatigued and causing the Alex Z500 rim to distort under load or it was just a bad spoke or wheel build.

Anyway, it seems like a good wheel set with better tires would go a long way to help this bike pedal easier and hence make it faster—but I’m only guessing.

1 - 1 of 7 Posts