Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
In my experience, when they get a lot of cuts & start to get punctures I replace them. I used to get about 1500 mi on my pro races. I'd say it's about time to replace it. I would go much longer with my fronts. I usually rotated my front to back and put the new one on front.

·
Registered
929 Posts
If you put a liner in the back, you'll get a lot less flats. I have about 3K miles on PR2s. The back is ready to be changed out, but I am waiting on my new wheels for that. I thought I would have to replace them a couple of months ago, but have been very fortunate with liners. I think they are getting a bit square though.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Wear gauge

tantra said:
I have about 1,000 mi on a pair of Pro2 Race tires. Many cuts on the rear tire. I've had one puncture (shard of glass). How do I know when to replace them?
Many of us replace tires when the tread is worn such that casing threads start to show through. Others will tell you that you get a lot more flats if you let your tires wear that far. No statistics are ever presented to support that claim, and the casing is so much thicker than the tread that it is hard to accept this without any data. I've gotten tires from people who told me "squared off = worn out" and then put another 1500 miles on the tire. YMMV.

·
Banned
181 Posts
fww:

I just replaced my Pro2's yesterday bc they were squaring and had lots of cuts, about 1 full season on them though I switch between 2 wheelsets. I was paranoid I'd get flats on long rides on the highway and don't like changing tires on the side of the road.

Upon inspection though, even though the tread was getting quite worn, it did seem like the casing underneath was still pretty well buffered and strong enough that I could have probably gotten more mileage out of them. I hate not using it all up.

I did notice when riding however, as the first set wore they would lock-up at times and skid under moderately hard braking and this bothered me both in races and in general training and road-traffic situations and I felt new tires have more stickiness/grip to them plus the increased margin of safety concerning flats and cuts so I went ahead with the new ones.

I have Pro3 service course mounted on my Reynolds DVC's and while they are really nice and light and grippy, I don;t think they feel puncture-resistant AT ALL. They seem way thin and soft to me, nice on safe park roads but not at all for glass, sharp bumps etc and changing Reynolds tires is a BE-ATCH so unfortunately I won;t be riding them too far from home this summer (unless someone has better info to offer)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Agree with Kerry & gitout.

Tire replacement sometimes comes down to optimal performance vs increase risk of flats. A badly squared-off tread may not handle/break as well as a newer tire, but not be "worn out" for less aggressive riding.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
If in doubt, replace them and put 'em on your commuter. That's what I do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.