Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a rec rider who wants to take it to the next level and implement a training regimen.

I commute to work by bike 2 - 3 times a week. Here is a link to the route (one-way). I go back down the route in the afternoon.

Can anyone advise me on how I can best use this commute as part of a bigger training scheme? Due to the steady elevation gain, I'm not sure how to approach the ride.

My other route would be a very flat 20 mile loop that I could do 1 -2 times a week. I also have one day where I can do longer rides.

Thanks and I appreciate the insight.

Kraige

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
what you can't do is ride hard up the hill and then down the hill every day. you'll get strong, but you won't necessarily get fast.
Intervals. 5 mins. 10 mins. 30 sec's. 90 sec's. Just make sure that every day you stress a different part of the bandwidth -- one day focus on 5 minute intervals, then maybe take it easy the next, then maybe 10 min intervals.
Get a book. Use perceived effort and don't worry about your speed, because it's going to vary depending on all sorts of factors.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.