Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bicycle is a graceful machine that allows a human to fuse with it and to move smoothly and fast as an integrated unit. I've seen too many people defile the nicest of machines with clumsy riding. I cringe when I see three types of riders: the bobbers that bounce their heads or even their entire torsos with very pedal stroke, the squirrels who weave all over and can't hold a straight line, and the bull-legged mashers who have choppy pedal strokes with knees flying out.

Today I saw the ultimate awkward rider. He bobbed his body. He weaved skittishly, and his knees were chopping up and down and flying out everywhere. He was a train wreck of a rider and I couldn't turn away.

In true roadie snobbery I feel superior now, even though he had a nicer bike and better kit.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,123 Posts
I was in my car stopped at an intersection, and almost had a lady on a hybrid bike weeble-wobble into me.

Then later, I had some douchebags on full-sus MTB's jumping curbs in and out of some pretty heavy traffic that almost ran into me.

It was awkward. I know I sound like an ******* saying "THEY almost ran into ME," but seriously, they did...I veered WAY over to give them their 3' of space, and they sucked that up like a vacuum cleaner and nearly crashed into me.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Reynolds531 said:
A bicycle is a graceful machine that allows a human to fuse with it and to move smoothly and fast as an integrated unit. I've seen too many people defile the nicest of machines with clumsy riding. I cringe when I see three types of riders: the bobbers that bounce their heads or even their entire torsos with very pedal stroke, the squirrels who weave all over and can't hold a straight line, and the bull-legged mashers who have choppy pedal strokes with knees flying out.

Today I saw the ultimate awkward rider. He bobbed his body. He weaved skittishly, and his knees were chopping up and down and flying out everywhere. He was a train wreck of a rider and I couldn't turn away.

In true roadie snobbery I feel superior now, even though he had a nicer bike and better kit.

Perhaps a couple of hours in the garage lovingly caressing your ride and whispering softly into her shifters will help you forget the trauma of what you have had to witness. If that doesn't work, maybe try spraying some Finish Line lube on your package, wrap your chain around it grab both ends and yank...while that may not remove the prior images from your mind, it will go a long way towards curing you of a bicycle fancy that you take a little too seriously. :p

Cheers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I focus on being smooth - smooth pedal stroke with good technique, good position on the bike, staying relaxed, minimizing unnecessary rocking of the body. Why? Because I think it helps me ride better and with greater efficiency.

I see someone who looks like a racer mashing gears on a flat with his body rocking all over the place and I wonder two things: 1) would he be much faster if he didn't do that? and 2) would I maybe actually be faster than I am if I didn't worry so much about smoothness and efficiency? :eek:

But I also give folks a benefit of a doubt. If I see some racer guy on a casual group ride who's mashing a big gear and rocking his body I assume he might just be using the ride as an opportunity to increase muscular endurance.

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ColoRoadie said:
Perhaps a couple of hours in the garage lovingly caressing your ride and whispering softly into her shifters will help you forget the trauma of what you have had to witness. If that doesn't work, maybe try spraying some Finish Line lube on your package, wrap your chain around it grab both ends and yank...while that may not remove the prior images from your mind, it will go a long way towards curing you of a bicycle fancy that you take a little too seriously. :p

Cheers!
Ah. Nothing like the voice of experience. why do you use finish line lube? Do you use a 10 speed, 9 speed, or 8 speed chain?

I'll pass on your fetish and just watch myself ride.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
not everyone is coordinate or has a body free of defects (for lack of a better word). Others don't give a crap about performance, efficiency and all that stuff that we who kill time on bike web sites do. It's usually easy to spot these people, they're generally the ones with the big smile on their face.

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hank Stamper said:
not everyone is coordinate or has a body free of defects (for lack of a better word). Others don't give a crap about performance, efficiency and all that stuff that we who kill time on bike web sites do. It's usually easy to spot these people, they're generally the ones with the big smile on their face.
No, I think it's the riders who try too hard and make it a great effort. If you go to the Netherlands or Belgium and watch old ladies riding to the grocery store you will see grace. If you go out on a Sunday morning in a nice U.S. suburb you'll see out-of-shape middle age men taking their fair weather weekly ride on $4000 bikes with full kit who look like they're thrashing at the demons who possess them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Reynolds531 said:
No, I think it's the riders who try too hard and make it a great effort. If you go to the Netherlands or Belgium and watch old ladies riding to the grocery store you will see grace. If you go out on a Sunday morning in a nice U.S. suburb you'll see out-of-shape middle age men taking their fair weather weekly ride on $4000 bikes with full kit who look like they're thrashing at the demons who possess them.
If it weren't for these sad sacks, our bicycling community would be significantly smaller. Encourage the Freds and be happy that middle aged guy is a part-time member of our community.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Reynolds531 said:
So old ladies going to buy a quart of milk aren't putting forth the same effort as the guy who bought a bike to get in shape? I think you're on to something, never would have noticed that. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Reynolds531 said:

As a young marine we were all standing in the chow line when a guy walked up in cammies that looked like he had slept in them. His cover was all ahoo, boots unpolished...he looked like a vagrant impersonating a marine. So, we gave him some ribbing and he took it quietly and friendly. One of my buddies asked him what unit he was from...to which he replied 'Seals'. Now, my buddy wasn't the brightest bulb in the pack so he asked if the seals landed on the beach and barked at the moon (accompanied by seal barking noises). Before we knew what happened my buddy was looking up at us from his back...and the seal was apologizing. Sorry man, not enough sleep last night. He ate with us for the remainder of his stay on our base...coolest guy you would ever want to meet. Clearly far more skilled than any of us would ever be....and he never made fun of anyone for any reason. He had no need to...his self esteem was perfectly balanced. Know what I mean?

·
Sucker for carbon
266 Posts
sa7nt said:
If it weren't for these sad sacks, our bicycling community would be significantly smaller. Encourage the Freds and be happy that middle aged guy is a part-time member of our community.
Agreed, sa7nt. It's people like the OP that give roadies a bad name. At least these awkward people are making an effort. I'm glad to see them on a bike improving their health. Who cares what they look like? Just wave and pass them by and get on with your own ride.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hooraw! I love that subtle reminder that we have all had our first day on our bike and this sport is not just for super athletes. They make all sorts of bikes because there are all kinds of riders. To me that's part of the beauty of bike riding. There is room for all. Get out pedal and be healthy. If you want to spend $4,000 on a bike that is cool to look at, buy it. I love to look at bikes too.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
It's the lounge...

skaruda_23 said:
Agreed, sa7nt. It's people like the OP that give roadies a bad name. At least these awkward people are making an effort. I'm glad to see them on a bike improving their health. Who cares what they look like? Just wave and pass them by and get on with your own ride.
The OP is just making some amusing observations. In The Lounge, no less. Try to get a sense of humor, fellas.:skep:

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Like many other sports a smooth style and form is nice to behold. Some will and some won't have it.

Funny, when I want to have a sloppy lazy day, I ride the errand bike that has platform pedals with sneakers/tennis shoes. :)

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Creakyknees said:
I know lots of riders who "ride ugly" but routinely rip my legs off.
Maybe. But when it's all said and done, you'll get your legs back and they'll still ride ugly.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I sometimes wonder if I fit the description of what you posted. Or do I look like I fit well? I see much of what you're describing on group rides, but always keep my mouth shut.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I see tons of people on the MUT w/ the splayed knees and their saddle basically mounted on the downtube, but my reaction is to wonder how the hell they manage to ride more than 5-10 miles at a time more than to be offended. Seems like that would kill your knees in short order.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts