Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
skaruda_23 said:
Agreed, sa7nt. It's people like the OP that give roadies a bad name. At least these awkward people are making an effort. I'm glad to see them on a bike improving their health. Who cares what they look like? Just wave and pass them by and get on with your own ride.
Bullshyt. If you pass a guy on a nice bike who is making a buffoon of himself by the way he rides, you snicker a little and feel superior. Admit it and join the roadie snobs. If you can hold a straight line while spinning 150 rpm for an hour I'll teach you the secret wave (assuming that it hasn't change in the last 25 years).

There has always been a pretty sharp line between roadies and civilian riders and there has always been derision towards those with more bike than legs. It doesn't matter if it's your blood brother or best friend, if he gets on a nice bike and looks like a circus bear on a unicycle, he's going to be the butt of jokes.

Women, however, are completely exempt.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Reynolds531 said:
A bicycle is a graceful machine that allows a human to fuse with it and to move smoothly and fast as an integrated unit. I've seen too many people defile the nicest of machines with clumsy riding. I cringe when I see three types of riders: the bobbers that bounce their heads or even their entire torsos with very pedal stroke, the squirrels who weave all over and can't hold a straight line, and the bull-legged mashers who have choppy pedal strokes with knees flying out.

Today I saw the ultimate awkward rider. He bobbed his body. He weaved skittishly, and his knees were chopping up and down and flying out everywhere. He was a train wreck of a rider and I couldn't turn away.

In true roadie snobbery I feel superior now, even though he had a nicer bike and better kit.
Guess it would have been too hard to ride with him a while, make a few suggestions on how to make better strokes and wish him well.

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
ColoRoadie said:
As a young marine we were all standing in the chow line when a guy walked up in cammies that looked like he had slept in them. ....and he never made fun of anyone for any reason. He had no need to...his self esteem was perfectly balanced. Know what I mean?
Yea, if you would have pretended to be a Seal he'd have pounded the sh!t out of you. He earned the right If you buy a nice bike and ride it 15 miles 10 times a year and look like a cow with crutches while you do it, I'll make fun of you. I earned the right.

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Tommy Walker said:
Guess it would have been too hard to ride with him a while, make a few suggestions on how to make better strokes and wish him well.
yea, Just like you should give the strange mom in the supermarket with the screaming kids some parenting advise and wish her well.

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
skaruda_23 said:
Agreed, sa7nt. It's people like the OP that give roadies a bad name.
wanna guess how much sleep most of us will lose because someone on the internet is giving 'roadies a bad name'...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Creakyknees said:
I know lots of riders who "ride ugly" but routinely rip my legs off.
+1

There are some guys that I ride with who have the weirdest looking form on the bike, but they regularly dish out some serious pain on other riders.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Reynolds531 said:
yea, Just like you should give the strange mom in the supermarket with the screaming kids some parenting advise and wish her well.
Wow, did that the other day with a screaming kid at a dinner; I didn't turn my nose up, I helped.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Tommy Walker said:
Wow, did that the other day with a screaming kid at a dinner; I didn't turn my nose up, I helped.
Funny - I think I rode with those two at beginner's night last week. That lady was all over the road because she was whining about some parenting-know-it-all at a dinner telling her how to raise her young'un.

Small world...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
seeborough said:
Funny - I think I rode with those two at beginner's night last week. That lady was all over the road because she was whining about some parenting-know-it-all at a dinner telling her how to raise her young'un.

Small world...
Must have been someone else. My company sponsored a table for the Gold Star dinner two weeks ago, the young lady at the table was having trouble keeping her daughter quiet while the speech was going on; having raised three children I know little tricks to keep children quiet; I easliy summised this young lady was having a rough time, her husband was killed in the war and she was struggling with two young children by herself. The event was important to her. The next day the family went to the amusement park, so I'm sure it wasn't her riding the next day.

You see this "ugly rider" probably doesn't have the opportunity to put in 300 miles a week; he's probably working late at night and volunteering for his son's Boy scout troop on the weekend. Yet, we single him out because he doesn't ride correctly, or look down on him because he is riding Sora and not Campy, or he's a diabetic and needs plenty of fluids and decides to caryr a camelback, but that isn't cool.

It's easy to put others down, frown on them; but take some time to figure others out, it makes a difference.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am that guy old fat and ride way more bike than I need. But I ride for me and to spend time with my wife and son. we do 3-4 charity rides a year very slowly and akwardly. but how i look isnt important, its the time i spend that is. I have never been prouder of my son than the day he started to out sprint me it was a beautiful thing to watch. I can still dog him over the long hall though

·
Registered
352 Posts
Reynolds531 said:
Yea, if you would have pretended to be a Seal he'd have pounded the sh!t out of you. He earned the right If you buy a nice bike and ride it 15 miles 10 times a year and look like a cow with crutches while you do it, I'll make fun of you. I earned the right.
How have you earned the right exactly? This should be good. Because you've spent as much time in the saddle as he has in college? Here is the thing man. Those guys that spend $4k on their bikes (not me)...and ride 15 miles a week (not me either)....that $4k means as much to them as your $500 bike means to you. They likely make that much in the same amount of time that you make yours. The difference is they spent their formative years bettering themselves instead of hanging drywall...and now they own the company that employs the company that you work for. Don't hate them because they worked harder and smarter than you. Everyone has their place in this world...and it takes all kinds to make it work. When I see the guy you've described, I give him a wave and chat him up at a rest stop if I see him. It's one thing to poke fun at your friends and have them poke right back...even if it's brutal....but to insult strangers in an attempt to pump up your own deflated self esteem...that's just weak.

Oh and to Tommy Walker who helped out a Vet's widowed wife....man, I don't have the words to honor you enough. Cheers mate!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm just really glad I had things to do around the house and didn't get a chance to ride today. I feel better knowing its not me the OP is talking about.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
When I first started racing in the '60s I learned one thing rather quickly. Never judge a rider's ability by what they look like or by what they're riding.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
When I first started racing in the '60s I learned one thing rather quickly. Never judge a rider's ability by what they look like or by what they're riding.
i agree with this, the only thing i do think about is if they look like a safe wheel or someone i dont want to be anywhere near (during a race)

how fast you can ride has nothing to do with how well you can ride

·
Sucker for carbon
266 Posts
Oxtox said:
wanna guess how much sleep most of us will lose because someone on the internet is giving 'roadies a bad name'...
Well apparently you cared enough to comment!

Thanks Oxtox, I'm honored to that I inspired you to contribute such a meaningful message to this thread.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Reynolds531 said:
How many pro tour titles do you have again? That's what I thought, no one earns the right to put down people. Try again.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
SidNitzerglobin said:
I see tons of people on the MUT w/ the splayed knees and their saddle basically mounted on the downtube, but my reaction is to wonder how the hell they manage to ride more than 5-10 miles at a time more than to be offended. Seems like that would kill your knees in short order.
What exactly makes you think they're riding more than 5-10 miles at a time? :p

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
I can and will judge people for not riding in a straight line. If you're riding on your own, weaving all over, awesome! You're out there, working your butt off! You're probably a beginner, and in a few weeks, the wobble will go away.

HOWEVER, if you are in the pack with me in a race, or if you are on a group ride with me, and you can't hold a line, I will judge you immediately. I'll say "He can't ride his bike straight, he's probably a beginner. He's liable to swerve, have his bike jump back when he gets out of his saddle, or grab a handful of brake unexpectedly. As such, I'm staying the f*ck away from him!"

That's not snobbery nearly so much as self-preservation.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I think we have probably all been on a long ride or a hard climb only to be past by someone who doesn't fit the stereotypical mold, and said to our selves, REALLY!! You just never know.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts