Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Set up a warning system/barricade/flashing light flares?
In some countries outside of the US cars are required and checked that they carry (First Aid kit, warning triangle, flares) when a car breaks down the first step is to set up a warning triangle a set distance behind the vehicle. A drivers licensee is very easy to obtain in the US, I pulled off the road yesterday for an emergency vehicle, got back on the road after it passed, saw another vehicle with flashing light coming my way, pulled off the road again and was promptly passed by 3 cars.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
After watching that video, I have to wonder where the driver was looking. He/she didn't hit the brakes until AFTER the person was hit. That was a wide open intersection that was lit up, there was no reason for that driver not to have seen those men before entering the intersection and starting to brake.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
How can there be no charges brought here either? Yes, they did not have flares or anything to bring attention to themselves but come on they are right in the road how could the driver not see them?
That this is classified as an accident is nauseating. Given how quickly the driver reacted after hitting the man I'd guess they weren't drunk. Likely texting, dialing a phone number, or looking for something in their purse. Lack of flares or flashing LED's or any other warning is no excuse. As a driver you are, supposedly anyway, responsible for knowing what is in your path.

Sadly, we are no longer a nation that expects people to take responsibility for themselves or their actions. And it will cost us in more than just lives.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Damn! Do they let just anybody post here?!

...oh...disregard this post.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Why should there be charges? The workers are in the middle of an intersection with a green light for traffic. There's nothing to indicate a work site like flares or flashing lights.
First of all, you don't know if there were signs leading up to the intersection or not. Regardless, drivers are responsible for knowing what is in front of them. If these guys had very suddenly run in to the intersection leaving the driver with no time to react that would be a different story.

G

·
First of all, you don't know if there were signs leading up to the intersection or not. Regardless, drivers are responsible for knowing what is in front of them. If these guys had very suddenly run in to the intersection leaving the driver with no time to react that would be a different story.
It's also not clear from the image that it was legal to go straight from that lane. If you look at the alignment of the street lights with the lanes it looked like there were four lights -- two green, two red, and that the driver went straight through what was a red on one of two "left turn only" lanes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.