Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the subtropical downpours every afternoon here in Central FL i feel its a waste of time cleanin off my commuter bike everytime it gets dirty, i'll wipe down the chain and lube it every other day but only give it a good hosedown once a week. how bout ya'll?

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MB1 said:
Anywhere from spotless to filthy depending on a whole lot of outside factors.

Right now sort of in-between.
yeah, in-between would be a good description of mine too, the fenders help but i get grease from the chain all over, i think i'm overlubin' it.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I wipe it down if I ride in the wet. Once a week I wipe the tires and clean the rims to check for stuff in the tread and any indications of wheel problems. Deflating the tires will show more stuff plus make it easier to pick it out. I take the wheels off and spin them by hand to feel the bearings.

I use homebrew chain lube and vary the mixture for the season. It is warm and dry this time of year so I use a 4:1 mixture. In the wet winter, I sometimes go 1:1 to make sure the chain is lubed enough for the return trip. Home brew is cheap so I slather the chain 2-3 times a week. The solvent in the mixture is also good for flushing the gunk out.

Sunday afternoon is bike on the workstand day. I pick something good to listen to on pandora and just bond with my bikes while I clean them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Since I store my commuter bike in my cubicle, it is kept spotless. I don't find it particularly professional when I'm dressed in nice wool slacks and a pressed shirt only to lug a muddy/caked up bike around or have it sitting in my office.

If I was to park it outside, then yeah, it'd probably be filthy as I wouldn't care.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I always clean my bikes. A clean bike is a functional bike.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
I lube the chain every now and then and wipe down the bike. It hasn't been washed in over six months. I quit washing bikes. I spray and wipe and that is about it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I make sure it's mechanically perfect, but I don't clean it very often. Maybe once per month.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bounce it a couple of times on the tires to shake off loose water, and if I'm in a good mood run a rag over the chain. If I hear too much noise I lube it.

Basically the opposite of how I treat the road bike.

If I washed and cleaned it every time it got wet, from October to March I would be so busy cleaning it I wouldn't have the opportunity to ride.

That's why there are wet and dry weather bikes :)

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Commuter??? Clean??? Shirley, you jest!

That's why I have a cheap SS. I wiped down the chain and put air in the tires a couple of weeks ago.

About 3-4 weeks ago, I broke and replaced an axle nut. I cleaned the bike when I replaced the nut.

·
Eat Fast. Die fat.
161 Posts
I clean the thing once a month. Strip it down to the frame - wax the frame with Mothers, put it back together and it doesn't really get dirty. The chain does and the forks where the brake mounts get filthy but the rest stays pretty tidy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.