Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its cold here today (seacoast NH) and it got me wondering how road tires designed for racing hold up in this kind of cold. Anyone have any experience with tire/tube damage or failure from extreme cold (currently 1F and windy)?

·
Registered
32 Posts
A good friend of mine lives in Winnipeg, Manitoba, where it gets extremely cold. He stops biking when the weather gets cold enough that his brakepads don't function properly. He has told me that he has tried lots of different kinds, but at a certain point they all just harden too much because of the cold, and lose their 'stick'.

Keeping that in mind, he has never mentioned any problems with tires/tubes, besides tire pressure dropping slightly in the cold. I'd be worried about your braking function first at extreme temps.

Although this is secondhand info, watch the pads!

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
firstrax said:
Its cold here today (seacoast NH) and it got me wondering how road tires designed for racing hold up in this kind of cold. Anyone have any experience with tire/tube damage or failure from extreme cold (currently 1F and windy)?
I would keep them away from liquid nitrogen. Other than that, your grease will be solid long before it hurts your tires/tubes.- TF

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,412 Posts
Don't go jumping curbs at -100F

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Iditabike

I seem to remember the Iditabike race in Alaska reporting numbers in the -40 range. Rubber will get brittle toward the -80C (-110 F) range depending on the compound, but no rational person will be riding a bike in temperatures where brittle rubber is a problem. Traction will probably be reduced as the temperature gets extreme, but who's banking the corners hard at those temps anyway.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
They use inflatable tires on some devices that are at the south pole. I've driven vehicles with pneumatic tires at -45 degrees. Seems like that just about says it all...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts